The Student Room Group

Moving Out Second Year at Uni?

Hi there guys I am in desperate need of some advice. For first year I have stayed at home and to be completely honest I regret not considering halls for the first year. I have not struggled making friends and generally fitting in however I do think I would enjoy living halls better as I would have even more friends and potentially be more academic as I have a lot of distractions at home ( I have a blind sister so I do have to be on the lookout frequently). However I am not that far from the uni its self it's only a 20 minute train followed by a 10 minute bus journey however I do believe this every day Monday to Friday is taking its toll. Obviously I can't really go out at weekends because although I have made friends I can't exactly rely to stay at their halls and I definitely can't afford a £50 taxi to take me home. The only thing that's holding me back is that I have a part time job that pays pretty well right now that I wouldn't want to give up and the fact that I would be wanting to try private halls as I don't fancy a one bedroom flat to myself and this obviously makes things a hell of a lot more expensive - anything from 7 grand per 51 weeks :O. I really just wanted people to say what they would do in my situation because my parents didn't go to uni and no disrespect to them but I don't think they quite understand how it all works. Thanks to anyone who has taken the time to read this and reply in advance!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by L01
Hi there guys I am in desperate need of some advice. For first year I have stayed at home and to be completely honest I regret not considering halls for the first year. I have not struggled making friends and generally fitting in however I do think I would enjoy living halls better as I would have even more friends and potentially be more academic as I have a lot of distractions at home ( I have a blind sister so I do have to be on the lookout frequently). However I am not that far from the uni its self it's only a 20 minute train followed by a 10 minute bus journey however I do believe this every day Monday to Friday is taking its toll. Obviously I can't really go out at weekends because although I have made friends I can't exactly rely to stay at their halls and I definitely can't afford a £50 taxi to take me home. The only thing that's holding me back is that I have a part time job that pays pretty well right now that I wouldn't want to give up and the fact that I would be wanting to try private halls as I don't fancy a one bedroom flat to myself and this obviously makes things a hell of a lot more expensive - anything from 7 grand per 51 weeks :O. I really just wanted people to say what they would do in my situation because my parents didn't go to uni and no disrespect to them but I don't think they quite understand how it all works. Thanks to anyone who has taken the time to read this and reply in advance!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there,

I was in exactly the same position as you when I was at Solent. I lived a 20 minute train journey and a 10 minute walk from University. Neither of my parents or my brother went to university and to them - it's the same as secondary school and therefore I shouldn't be getting so stressed about making friends.

I thought about moving out from home in my second year as I was having a tough time making friends outside my course - everyone else was going on spontaneous nights out and it was hard because I had to check train times and ask a few days in advance if I could crash on someone's floor in halls (not comfortable!) which then made me feel left out and as if I didn't bond so well.

However, I tried to apply for more loan from Student Finance England but because I was local and I tried to provide evidence that I was not financially supported by my parents, and even with the extra amount, the loan still wasn't enough to cover rent and expenses.

My advice would be to take a look at student finance or even give them a call (if you don't mind waiting an hour before you get through) if you have a group of friends from university that want to move into a house with you - go for it. If you go into halls in your second year you'll be bombarded with first years.

Staying at home for the three years actually gets better with time - when in my third year - I was definitely one of the calmest in my year because I had somewhere away from University life that I could focus on my dissertation, whilst still having money still in the bank to treat myself. Plus, I may only have a small groups of friends from university - but they have turned out to be life long friends

I hope this helps and good luck in your second year! :smile:
Kath.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest