Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is philosophy, anyway? Watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:

To kick off Philosophy Month, let's go with a relatively broad question. What, to you, is philosophy all about, and why does it matter?

ReputationRep:
    If there's one thing that AS Philosophy taught me, it's that you can go mad by overthinking the smallest of things.
    What is real? What is life? What is happiness?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Dropped it like a bomb

But in all seriousness, philosophy was a fantastic subject because, at least to me, it's a way of trying to understanding the very principles of knowledge, perception and human existence. I don't think the point of philosophy is to get to a concrete answer necessarily, but to find and explore all the possible routes to get to an answer because all these routes can give us answers to other questions. One of my favourite, and very powerful, ways of learning was through analogies or parables because it can translate something complex into something we relate to and understand. It's a hugely beneficial skill because it allows you to explain concepts or topics (like the sciences) to other people very easily backing your point by examples or analogies. Like Einstein said, "if you can't explain it as simple as possible, then you don't understand it well enough".

I feel philosophy was heavily important to developing my character as it taught me the importance of open-mindedness, how everything can be thoroughly questioned and how to perhaps go about tackling those questions.

ReputationRep:
    I don't regard many areas of philosophy as being important, but moral philosophy is certainly important.

Philosophy matters because it poses the ultimate question: how ought I to live? If you take it seriously, you'll find that philosophy will shape your whole life.

Anecdotally, if I hadn't taken Philosophy and Ethics (the title of my Religious Studies course) at GCSE, my life would probably be very different today.

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy is what we call the discussion of ideas, simple as that. With thoughts and ideas amounting to the most incredible fact at hand in this universe, we could argue that philosophy is the noblest of all subjects and that would be in itself... philosophising.

The greek origin of the word translates as something like 'love of wisdom/knowledge', that and a methodical approach to the discussion of ideas must be what seems to make it as something 'up there' but everyone is a philosopher up to a point. We all have a life-philosophy, for instance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viddy9)
    I don't regard many areas of philosophy as being important, but moral philosophy is certainly important.

Philosophy matters because it poses the ultimate question: how ought I to live? If you take it seriously, you'll find that philosophy will shape your whole life.
    Hopefully in doing so you don't commit the is-ought fallacy...

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy for me is a means to re-creating oneself and one's approach to life.

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy is the best way to train your spirit, because with it, you are constantly constrained to reconsider your thoughts and opinions. Philosophy doesn't exist to give you answers or solutions, but it exists to give you a path in order to understand the world, to understand society, cultures and to understand yourself as well. There is no greater academic discipline than philosophy because it encompasses every other discipline.

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy is this (.)(.) - A pair of breasts. You know you love it but you must utilize them in the most efficient way as they can change.

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy is the investigation of fundamental abstract issues of human existence. It is at the core of everything one could think of, the lifeline to a reality of people.

I also recon it is one of those things that sits naturally in humanity, even if its academic standing was taken away. Similarly to how we have a natural aptitude for (folk) psychology and (folk) physics, we have a natural aptitude for "folk philosophy".

ReputationRep:
    It causes us to question everything. It gives us a heads and tails. It's important to see both sides of the coin.

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy is thinking about thinking

ReputationRep:
    All these responses are :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:s. Philosophy is analytic philosophy, aside from the historical philosophers; the good ones of whom were analytic philosophers in spirit but they simply didn't have access to the modern logics philosophers invented in the 20th century.

Analytic philosophy is simply using logic to solve any problem that science doesn't have the epistemological tools to solve.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.