Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Depression at University? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Coming to university for me has been really hard, and the homesickness has been absolutely horrible. I'm about 4 hours away from home, so it's not if I can go back (it's not as though it helps me feel better much either). I've recently moved flats due to bullying issues, but that hasn't really helped my mood much either.
    But I've noticed that recently, I've been struggling with sleeping, I'm physically and mentally exhausted all the time - no matter how much sleep I've had, and I have no motivation to pull myself out of bed. I have no motivation to do work or anything that I even enjoy anymore, and a few times this week, I've skipped lectures. I've also missed an important deadline, which means I've completely failed a module and that's freaking me out, but also fueling all these negative feelings I'm having right now. I'm going between binge eating and not eating anything at all, and then I'm pretty much trying to medicate it with alcohol. Suicidal thoughts are not at all helping, and I just want to disappear.
    I want to see the GP, but I'm terrified. I'm scared that they won't see it for what it is, like when my CAMHS counselor told me I didn't have anxiety and that I was just shy, never mind the 2 years in counselling for anxiety and the numerous panic attacks. But on the topic of university, I just have no idea what to do anymore.

Definitely see your GP, speak to pastoral care/welfare tutor at university too?

ReputationRep:
    See your GP and the academic support people at your uni. They can help with things like extending deadlines and extenuating circumstances for exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LauraTeri)
    Coming to university for me has been really hard, and the homesickness has been absolutely horrible. I'm about 4 hours away from home, so it's not if I can go back (it's not as though it helps me feel better much either). I've recently moved flats due to bullying issues, but that hasn't really helped my mood much either.
    But I've noticed that recently, I've been struggling with sleeping, I'm physically and mentally exhausted all the time - no matter how much sleep I've had, and I have no motivation to pull myself out of bed. I have no motivation to do work or anything that I even enjoy anymore, and a few times this week, I've skipped lectures. I've also missed an important deadline, which means I've completely failed a module and that's freaking me out, but also fueling all these negative feelings I'm having right now. I'm going between binge eating and not eating anything at all, and then I'm pretty much trying to medicate it with alcohol. Suicidal thoughts are not at all helping, and I just want to disappear.
    I want to see the GP, but I'm terrified. I'm scared that they won't see it for what it is, like when my CAMHS counselor told me I didn't have anxiety and that I was just shy, never mind the 2 years in counselling for anxiety and the numerous panic attacks. But on the topic of university, I just have no idea what to do anymore.
    Have you spoken to your Uni's mental health services? If not I would strongly advise you so so and don't be afraid to speak to your gp, they are required to listen to you and what you have describe definitely sound alike something they'd take seirously. If you can, confide in your family and friends and try to be around as much positivity as possible and remember that while you're in a difficult situation right now, many Uni students struggle with this kind of thing and it is temporary, you can get past it Also, I'd recommend speaking to your tutors about your attendance and deadlines, so they knew what's going on, really hope you're ok op, I wish you the best of luck with getting past this and we're all here for you

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    Honestly, it gets better. It's a phase that will pass, providing you seek the right help. If you can, muster up the courage to speak to your personal advisor or your university's counsellor. It's crucial that you do this now. If you leave it too late and later have to opt out of exams, their can confirm that you've been having difficulties.

Depending on your relationship with your family, try and speak to them. Friends that you can trust can also help you through this period.

The best thing you can do for yourself, is to physically force yourself out of bed. Go for a walk, eat a healthy meal, and seek help!

Hope you feel yourself again soon

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for all the replies, guys. I'm going to get an appointment to see the GP tomorrow and my mum thinks I should too (if not, I'm going home Friday of next week, and she'll probably take me down to see the GP at home). I saw my university counselor not so long ago but I was hesitant to let go of all of this, and it was mainly in relation to my panic attacks than anything. I'll probably book an appointment to see my personal tutor next week. But thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LauraTeri)
    Thank you for all the replies, guys. I'm going to get an appointment to see the GP tomorrow and my mum thinks I should too (if not, I'm going home Friday of next week, and she'll probably take me down to see the GP at home). I saw my university counselor not so long ago but I was hesitant to let go of all of this, and it was mainly in relation to my panic attacks than anything. I'll probably book an appointment to see my personal tutor next week. But thank you
    If you still can't handle the work there's no shame in interrupting your studies and returning to university when you're feeling better. You'll get better grades and have more fun! Good luck :hugs:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 11, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.