Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In two minds on which exam to do. I am currently at College and this is my first year doing Maths functional skills as I did not get a C in GCSE Maths at school. The dilemma is I could go for the Level 1 exam and pass it, but this is equivalent to a D/E grade at GCSE, am I right in thinking? Where as with the Level 2 I know it's equivalent to a GCSE C, which is what most employers want when going for jobs.

I spoke to my teacher and he says he's giving me L1 work, but on some occasions I get given the L2 work. I am mixed, because some of the harder stuff I might be able to do, but some of the simpler stuff can be a struggle at times. If I did the L1 and passed it I couldn't help thinking, could I of passed L2 instead, if that makes sense. Or similarly, if I do decide to do the L2 exam and fail it, that means I won't get a qualification in both L1 or L2.

In all honestly I do not want to do Maths lessons for another year. Just wanted a few of your own thoughts on this. I keep going over it in my mind but maybe you can help me come up with a clear decision. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AleW)
    In two minds on which exam to do. I am currently at College and this is my first year doing Maths functional skills as I did not get a C in GCSE Maths at school. The dilemma is I could go for the Level 1 exam and pass it, but this is equivalent to a D/E grade at GCSE, am I right in thinking? Where as with the Level 2 I know it's equivalent to a GCSE C, which is what most employers want when going for jobs.

I spoke to my teacher and he says he's giving me L1 work, but on some occasions I get given the L2 work. I am mixed, because some of the harder stuff I might be able to do, but some of the simpler stuff can be a struggle at times. If I did the L1 and passed it I couldn't help thinking, could I of passed L2 instead, if that makes sense. Or similarly, if I do decide to do the L2 exam and fail it, that means I won't get a qualification in both L1 or L2.

In all honestly I do not want to do Maths lessons for another year. Just wanted a few of your own thoughts on this. I keep going over it in my mind but maybe you can help me come up with a clear decision. Thanks.
    If you only take L2 and don't pass you won't get a L1 qualification.
    Is there no option to try both?
    Ask to take the L1 exam after Easter - they are not like gcse and can be taken more or less any time - and if you pass try the L2 before the end of term.
    If you don't pass then try L1 again.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 11, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.