Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Durham has the most expensive halls watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    http://education.guardian.co.uk/stud...244074,00.html

Seems a bit steep for Durham to me, considering land and property are much cheaper up there relative to further south. For example, the price they quote is roughly what I'll pay in Bristol (also for catered) yet land and property is more expensive there. Durham actually pointed out to me at my interview that their private sector accommodation is some of the cheapest in the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpollodiablouk)

Seems a bit steep for Durham to me, considering land and property are much cheaper up there relative to further south. For example, the price they quote is roughly what I'll pay in Bristol (also for catered) yet land and property is more expensive there. Durham actually pointed out to me at my interview that their private sector accommodation is some of the cheapest in the country.
    Urgh, why do they charge so much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    Because they're a bunch of thieving capitalist b*stards?

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like a scheme to me and I doubt they could pin it on the upkeep of ancient buildings - Oxford and Cambridge have ridiculously high house prices and a lot more ancient buildings to renovate. Durham look to be pulling a fast one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    It sounds like a scheme to me and I doubt they could pin it on the upkeep of ancient buildings - Oxford and Cambridge have ridiculously high house prices and a lot more ancient buildings to renovate. Durham look to be pulling a fast one.
    Oxford's St. Hilda's is more pricey than expected, I was told cambridge rooms averaged out at £60 pw.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford's St. Hilda's is more pricey than expected, I was told cambridge rooms averaged out at £60 pw.
    For Cambridge, that sounds very reasonable. To think that run-of-the-mill two-bedroom terraces in Cambridge (near the station, and not even on the prime site land which most the colleges occupy) can easily fetch £350,000+ it is ridiculous that Durham charge so much. As pointed out previously, I'm sure that Durham property isn't anywhere near as costly as at Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    For Cambridge, that sounds very reasonable. To think that run-of-the-mill two-bedroom terraces in Cambridge (near the station, and not even on the prime site land which most the colleges occupy) can easily fetch £350,000+ it is ridiculous that Durham charge so much. As pointed out previously, I'm sure that Durham property isn't anywhere near as costly as at Oxbridge.
    Heh no way, most of the accomodation in south kensington is cheaper than that :mad: that's exploitation! We're students for heaven's sake!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, my brother said the house next to him in Cambridge (which was very central, opposite Jesus Green on Trumpington street) was a 2 story terrace which sold for £500k, and they were in a 3/4 story one being charged around £60pw. It was a brilliant location, and they had huge rooms by student standards, as well as 2 shared kitchens.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, my brother said the house next to him in Cambridge (which was very central, opposite Jesus Green on Trumpington street) was a 2 story terrace which sold for £500k, and they were in a 3/4 story one being charged around £60pw. It was a brilliant location, and they had huge rooms by student standards, as well as 2 shared kitchens.
    I've only been to Durham once, and having said that, I'm not particularly well informed about its housing market - but I sincerely doubt whether (in terms of market prices) it compares to the Cliftons and South Kensingtons of this world.

ReputationRep:
    I've only been to Durham once, and having said that, I'm not particularly well informed about its housing market - but I sincerely doubt whether (in terms of market prices) it compares to the Cliftons and South Kensingtons of this world.
    ah...to actually own a place in south kensington one day *drifts off into a dream*.

ReputationRep:
    ah...to actually own a place in south kensington one day *drifts off into a dream*.
    You can but dream, or alternatively, pay me a visit in 10 years time.

ReputationRep:
    You can but dream, or alternatively, pay me a visit in 10 years time.
    pah, I'll have got my own pad before you.

ReputationRep:
    you pay for what you get these days. durham accomodation is generally top class.

ReputationRep:
    pah, I'll have got my own pad before you.
    Maybe so, but I'll be sitting pretty in my sprawling compound on Kensington Palace Gardens. Should you ever visit, be nice to the guys at the roadblock - for they obey my every command and have machine guns.

ReputationRep:
    I seem to remember that on my accommodation forms for Durham the price was about £1000 per term, but I'm sure that was fully catered (three meals a day, if I'm not mistaken). Perhaps this accounts for the high price. It seems unlikely that that the £40 lower down the list is for fully catered.

ReputationRep:
    what a supriese that exeter came third!!

the south west is supoes to be really cheep....but i pay £97.44 a week for a standard room....

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    Maybe so, but I'll be sitting pretty in my sprawling compound on Kensington Palace Gardens. Should you ever visit, be nice to the guys at the roadblock - for they obey my every command and have machine guns.
    Hmmm, not if the royal family have anything to do with it. I imagine it'd be a horror to clean, or expensive. I'm not being nice to them, I shall be driving past in my stretch limo

ReputationRep:

Exeter 3rd, oh no need to tell me that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by endorf)
    you pay for what you get these days. durham accomodation is generally top class.
    Plus Durham caters 3 meals a day, 7 days a week. Maybe that's more than other unis? Also much of the accommodation has been updated recently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serendipity)
    Plus Durham caters 3 meals a day, 7 days a week. Maybe that's more than other unis? Also much of the accommodation has been updated recently.
    Personally, I don't see why anyone would want 3 meals a day, 7 days a week. That doesn't sound very flexible! :confused:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.