Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Durham has the most expensive halls watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    Lolz.. I can survive don't worry. I did all my cooking etc when I was 11-15 and living away from home. I just don't want the hassle anymore and it's all for conveniance.

Oh, and here full-time maids cost 100 pounds per month and they do everything 15 hours a day. Not that I intend to employ one, but in case of a real emergency........
    Jesus - that is amazing. For the price of a mobile phone and a satellite television subscription over here - you can buy a skivvy ( )! Our ironing lady charges £20 a day (for about 3hrs work on just one day) and the cleaner £60 - (for 5 hours on just one day).

And living in the Midlands - I have it better than most in terms of the cost of living.

In London, I'm told that a live-in aupair/maid/cook etc. can often charge £25,000 p.a!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    Jesus - that is amazing. For the price of a mobile phone and a satellite television subscription over here - you can buy a skivvy ( )! Our ironing lady charges £20 a day (for about 3hrs work on just one day) and the cleaner £60 - (for 5 hours on just one day).

And living in the Midlands - I have it better than most in terms of the cost of living.

In London, I'm told that a live-in aupair/maid/cook etc. can often charge £25,000 p.a!
    WHAT?????????????

That's amazing. Our maid does everything..... she cleans all our bedrooms and bathrooms everyday. Our laundry is washed, ironed and folded before the day is over. She gardens, sweeps everything everyday. She gets up at 6am and works non-stop until 10-11pm. All for 100 pounds a month.

ReputationRep:
    WHAT?????????????

That's amazing. Our maid does everything..... she cleans all our bedrooms and bathrooms everyday. Our laundry is washed, ironed and folded before the day is over. She gardens, sweeps everything everyday. She gets up at 6am and works non-stop until 10-11pm. All for 100 pounds a month.
    Oh, did I forget to mention the gardener? He charges £25 (every time he comes) to spend a couple of hours mowing the lawn, tidying up the borders and trimming the odd hedge. The window cleaner charges £15 (every time he comes) and he can't even clean 1/3 of the windows on the house, because it's too dangerous. When you add the cost of babysitters, repairmen, accountants, lawyers, builders, decorators and any tradesman for that matter - the cost of living in much of the UK simply beggars belief.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    Oh, did I forget to mention the gardener? He charges £25 (every time he comes) to spend a couple of hours mowing the lawn, tidying up the borders and trimming the odd hedge. The window cleaner charges £15 (every time he comes) and he can't even clean 1/3 of the windows on the house, because it's too dangerous. When you add the cost of babysitters, repairmen, builders, decorators and any tradesman for that matter - the cost of living in much of the UK simply beggars belief.
    Oh gosh.. Now I'm quite happy living in a "3rd world" country. Even our full time driver earns only 20 pounds a month. And all these people are incredibly nice - love them to bits. I also think average car ownership per family is at least 2 cars - lots of people have more than 3.

I didn't know that it was so expensive in the UK. Do you guys have minimum wage stuff for these people or something? And why don't the maids that come over here, go over there and earn instead? I don't get all this stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Oh gosh.. Now I'm quite happy living in a "3rd world" country. Even our full time driver earns only 20 pounds a month. And all these people are incredibly nice - love them to bits. I also think average car ownership per family is at least 2 cars - lots of people have more than 3.

I didn't know that it was so expensive in the UK. Do you guys have minimum wage stuff for these people or something? And why don't the maids that come over here, go over there and earn instead? I don't get all this stuff.
    Well, there is a minimum wage framework - I think in October 2004 the minimum wage for adults (over 22) is £4.85. However, the fact of the matter is that there is nearly always an accepted going rate which (depending on where you live) is nearly always in excess of the minimum wage.
    In addition, the majority of these people (performing household duties) earn cash in hand - so they are free to charge the going rate (oops, I shouldn't have spilled that ).

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.