Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What are your work-related/academic goals for the foreseeable future? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Asking because I don't really have any. I'm just quite happy to see where this career path takes me and make the most of life outside work.

What about you guys? I know there are many people on here who are aiming high so let's hear it!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I made a Grow Your Grades blog with very specific goals and that helps to motivate me.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    In a nutshell:

Work towards getting a distinction in Part III and pursue a PhD, either within Oxbridge or at a top US university (MIT/Harvard/Stanford) :bigsmile:

Let's see what happens
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I want to do a PhD studying veterinary parasites or viruses to create vaccines, and then go into research in the same area.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    I made a Grow Your Grades blog with very specific goals and that helps to motivate me.
    Interesting. I see that your goals relate primarily to your degree, which is fair enough

(Original post by Indeterminate)
    In a nutshell:

Work towards getting a distinction in Part III and pursue a PhD, either within Oxbridge or at a top US university (MIT/Harvard/Stanford) :bigsmile:

Let's see what happens
    (Original post by Changing Skies)
    I want to do a PhD studying veterinary parasites or viruses to create vaccines, and then go into research in the same area.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh, so we have 2 aspiring academics in the house! Quite refreshing considering the fact that most people (including myself) are just concerned about high-paid work etc.

ReputationRep:
    Well currently I am sitting Nat5's (GCSE's in England) and am hoping to get full A's (Currently predicted 5A* and an A2) I'm hoping to get into uni and study medicine so I have to work hard :P

ReputationRep:
    Try not to murder anybody/go mad while attempting to get through the whole school thang
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Most Competitive)
    Oh, so we have 2 aspiring academics in the house! Quite refreshing considering the fact that most people (including myself) are just concerned about high-paid work etc.
    Haha what are your potential plans then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In a nutshell:

Let's see what happens
    Ahh so these are the big guns you never told me about Well, when you're a professor emeritus, might I please get a letter of recommendation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    Try not to murder anybody/go mad while attempting to get through the whole school thang
    ^I completely relate to this

ReputationRep:
    Start med school this September at Edinburgh

ReputationRep:
    Getting out of bed in the morning is a huge achievement for me lol.

ReputationRep:
    Haha well I have heard its a big jump from GCSE to A levels so ill try.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Ahh so these are the big guns you never told me about
    :yes:

Ambitious, I know :lol:

Well, when you're a professor emeritus, might I please get a letter of recommendation?
    Lol, certainly!

But it'll take me at least 40 years to get that title, so I'm not sure what use it'll be :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    :yes:

Ambitious, I know :lol:

Lol, certainly!

But it'll take me at least 40 years to get that title, so I'm not sure what use it'll be :laugh:
    Not for you
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Not for you
    Thanks

But I'm finding it hard to imagine the MIT scenario, for instance

ReputationRep:
    to get a first in my degree

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

But I'm finding it hard to imagine the MIT scenario, for instance
    Grad school admissions is completely different to UG in the States, which is notorious for focusing on the wrong things. Do brilliantly at Cambridge with research especially and try to connect with good professors who might have links b/c the letters of recommendation are absolutely key, on top of your publications in the states.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I can't believe I'm trying to advise you - you probably knew all of this already :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tayler474)
    Haha well I have heard its a big jump from GCSE to A levels so ill try.
    GCSE was the most overhyped thing I've ever done, easy game. Starting A level gave me multiple mental breakdowns and left me in various states of existential crisis.

Real fun jump. However, still fulfilled my goal of not murdering anybody, for I am strong human bean.

Be like me.

ReputationRep:
    human bean.
    now i know where kidney beans come from!!!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.