Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Dear student room,

the reason why I am asking this question is because I was originally doing bio,chem, maths, phy and philosophy and ended up dropping physics. This is a decision I regret deeply because I was actually interested in the topic of physics, and wish I keep all of my subjects. I have heard stories of people doing around 6 A levels and 5 A levels. I am asking has anyone done 4 A levels and 1 as(physics) before. I am almost pretty sure what decision I am going to make. Alot of oxbridge medical students have done 4 A levels or 5As and I think I may be at a disadvantage with my current subjects.

thank you,

and advice to any year 11 or people in general so you do not make my mistake, dont shy away from a difficult task. Its taking the biggest risk that gives the biggest rewards.

ReputationRep:
    Your current subjects are absolutely fine. There is no need at all to do more than 4 A-levels (or more than 3 really).

ReputationRep:
    The majority of people who get into medicine do only 3 A Levels. A fair number of people do 4. But I haven't ever met anyone other than myself who did 5 - on any course actually. I'm sure there are people out there with 5 or 6 A levels, but it won't help you with your application to most universities and is far from a requirement. If anything, the more subjects you do the more likely you are to miss that AAA.

4 A levels is PLENTY

ReputationRep:
    yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChiefKwen)
    yes
    yes for what?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Not medicine, but ghought id add my experiences:

I did 4 A levels (plus EPQ and general studies lol) alongside an AS in my A2 year (plus an additional 2 AS subjects in my first year) and although it was a lot of work it was perfectly managable if I kept on top of things.

However, it is perfectly possible to get into uni for competitive subjects with just the standard numbers of A levels, particularly since for medicine you'll need to spend a lot of time volunterring and doing work experience. If you think taking too many subjects will affect your grades at all, then don't risk it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.