Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Over Half of Scots Support Independence From UK in Case of Brexit Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    About 60 percent of Scots think that Scotland should be independent from the United Kingdom if Britain leaves the European Union, a STV News poll reveled Wednesday.

The poll results suggest that some 62 percent would support the UK remaining in the bloc in a referendum, with 26 percent supporting Brexit, while 12 percent are undecided.

UK Prime Minister David Cameron is seeking to renegotiate the terms of the United Kingdom's membership of the bloc. Its membership of the 28-nation bloc will be put to vote no later than by the end 2017. Cameron said the government’s position was to campaign for Britain to stay in the European Union but on better terms.

Read More:
    http://sputniknews.com/europe/201602...exit-poll.html

ReputationRep:
    A cynic might say that they just want a big brother to sponge off rather than having to stand on their own two feet...

ReputationRep:
    The EU vote is going to be a right old cluster**** but in the case of Scotland, they should hold 2 referendums at the same time.

The first question being:

Do you support Britain leaving the EU?

And the second question being:

If Britain votes to leave the EU, do you support Scottish Independence?

However, if Scottish votes tilt the scales in favour of the UK staying in, then the Leave campaign will kick up a right old fuss.

ReputationRep:
    Are we to vote to remain just to please the Scots? Why should the will of 54m people be ignored to please a mere 5m people.

Boggles the mind how a large number of Scots see themselves as a vital asset or component of the UK who can dictate the will of their much more numerous countrymen. The United Kingdom is already the 5th largest economy in the world and the UK is forecast to overtake Germany and even Japan by the 2030s as our population increases towards 80m.(http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/uk-tipped-b...-2030s-1534942).

The loss of Scotland would be nothing but a symbolic blow. We'd lose an inconsequential percentage of our population and economy (soon replaced by immigrants at this rate I'm sure!) and the empty and wet highlands but who needs them anyway. Trident would probably remain in Scotland regardless after some friendly coercing from NATO.

In any case, there is no reason to believe that the Scots are inherently more 'liberal and progressive' as we are continuously told. What evidence is there that people in Scotland less eurosceptic. In truth you'll find people vote to remain in the EU with the sole hope of triggering another indyref. I'm sure common-sense will prevail again.

Drained oilfields, EU-restricted fisheries, abandoned, rusting towns and derelict infrastructure headed by an angry feminist. Perhaps Scotland will remain rich by continuing to sell top-notch whisky to world despots? Just gotta ride out that category 5 storm first that'll break as soon as they lose Sterling and have to join the Euro.

Yorkshire is far more important than Scotland and the people are far nicer! The UK is moving towards a federalist union and pretty soon, if the Scots are still here they won't be able to blame the big evil government in Westminster anymore. No wonder the SNP are so frantically trying to jump ship now. Well I tell you, there are no rescue boats on the way this time.

ReputationRep:
    Roofas - you're ignorant rant is why many Scots voted for and will vote in the future to leave the UK. Your knowledge of Scotland and its economy is embarrassingly poor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DougallnDougall)
    Roofas - you're ignorant rant is why many Scots voted for and will vote in the future to leave the UK. Your knowledge of Scotland and its economy is embarrassingly poor
    Scotland is just oil, without Britain they wouldn't of had the £20bn injected into their economcy to prevent a recession or mass spending cuts. Your free nhs service, free tution fees all from English tax payers, even though thats about to end.

I personally as a English person, same as my English class in arguementive want Scotland OUT of UK and watch them suffer and come cralling back to good ol'd Britain. Don't forget why it was made in the first place, because Scotland couldn't survive on its own, remember?
    Also, your army would " march " to England and your Royal Bank of Scotland would also march to Britain. I wanted independence to see how you would be surviving now because oil has dropped from like $120 to $30 get this. We DON'T need you but YOU need us.

As well as this, your EU membership will be stripped if exiting Britain as your under Britain trade deals, you'll be independant after the transition of independence for about 4 years, also you maybe stripped from the pound however we'll have the debt sent to us and Scotland won't share it, even thought it was Scotland who caused it in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    But will they rename themselves the European Dependence Party?

ReputationRep:
    I wish the Scots would pi$$ or get off the pot. Why don't they just F right off and do everybody a favour.

ReputationRep:
    Good. Hurry up about it.

ReputationRep:
    We aren't all like them, I promise.

I voted to remain a part of a the UK, I'll be voting to leave the EU and I'm hoping Cameron and future PM's have the balls to say no to the retards that infest and drag down our great country that are harping on about a second referendum.

ReputationRep:
    you're ignorant rant
    His are ignorant rant? (sorry)

ReputationRep:
    No chance of leaving with oil at $30 a barrel unless scots are willing to accept heavily reduced living standards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    About 60 percent of Scots think that Scotland should be independent from the United Kingdom if Britain leaves the European Union, a STV News poll reveled Wednesday...
    The Scots would do well to take a close look at Greece. Eventually they would have to join the Eurozone and once inside they will lose control of their economy to Brussels. They will dream of the halcyon days when they were nearly independent within the UK.

ReputationRep:
    I can't think of a better reason for a Brexit, if only the Welsh were similarly inclined.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lacesso)
    We aren't all like them, I promise.

I voted to remain a part of a the UK, I'll be voting to leave the EU and I'm hoping Cameron and future PM's have the balls to say no to the retards that infest and drag down our great country that are harping on about a second referendum.
    At least there still some hope out there, wait till SNP gets power and struggles to run.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckfeister)
    Scotland is just oil, without Britain they wouldn't of had the £20bn injected into their economcy to prevent a recession or mass spending cuts. Your free nhs service, free tution fees all from English tax payers, even though thats about to end.

I personally as a English person, same as my English class in arguementive want Scotland OUT of UK and watch them suffer and come cralling back to good ol'd Britain. Don't forget why it was made in the first place, because Scotland couldn't survive on its own, remember?
    Also, your army would " march " to England and your Royal Bank of Scotland would also march to Britain. I wanted independence to see how you would be surviving now because oil has dropped from like $120 to $30 get this. We DON'T need you but YOU need us.

As well as this, your EU membership will be stripped if exiting Britain as your under Britain trade deals, you'll be independant after the transition of independence for about 4 years, also you maybe stripped from the pound however we'll have the debt sent to us and Scotland won't share it, even thought it was Scotland who caused it in the first place.

You write a load of utter rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    Really! Do you believe what you just wrote? The problem with a lot of the nonsense spouted here is you've been spoon fed crap from MSM and anti -Scottish propaganda as determined by whichever corrupt party England has opted to sit in WM.

ReputationRep:
    You write a load of utter rubbish.
    You saw the oil prices go down? You saw the Autumn Spending Review? Where SNP got told " As we said before, Scotland is BETTER in a reformed United Kingdom because due to oil prices, spending in Scotland has REDUCED and to PREVENT recession in United Kingdom we are injecting £20bn into Scotland economic which has came from WALES and ENGLAND budget.", this clearly shows that Scotland would be struggling currently as they wouldn't be in EU and they in recession themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supersaps)
    No chance of leaving with oil at $30 a barrel unless scots are willing to accept heavily reduced living standards.
    Your ignorance knows no bounds. Scotland isn't dependent on oil! And even if oil is a mere 30 dollars a barrel, 30 dollars is better than zero dollars (England). The fact is the St Clair field off Sheltand will produce enough oil to meet all of Scotland's needs. Why on earth should a country of just over 5m have to subsidise their greedy neighbours with 54m.

We will be taking back our whisky revenues as well (1/6th of all UK food/drinks revenue) and all the rest too.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else had enough of hearing Scots winge? Won't be missed if they carry on *****ing and moaning (speaking as someone with Scots lineage)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.