Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

YouTube to be only available on Super-Fast broadband :( Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So Youtube is to be broadcast on an increased bandwidth that's only available on Superfast broadband.
    That means there are a lot of people who don't yet have Superfast broadband who will now be unable to access youtube or will have significant difficulty loading or playing videos. It's being brought in gradually over the next few days or weeks.

I'm so angry as YT is my second most favourite social media and I'm a very frequent user. I don't know what I'm gonna do without YT

The first I knew of it was yesterday 9th Feb at midnight when some videos would not load or play or would stop part of the way through. Some videos that failed to play on my Ipad app would play on the google browser and vice versa. A lot of YT videos now fail to play on my TV which has internet access.

Nice of Youtube not to bother consulting its users and members and asking them if they want a wider band length at the expense of not being able to use the bloody service! Seriously Google has lost the plot!

ReputationRep:
    Source?

ReputationRep:
    time to download all my songs!!

fuk u youtube

ReputationRep:
    Well. Me and the 5MB download (The highest I can ****ing get here in the highlands) will have to go elsewhere.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    But I need my YouTube fix every day!

ReputationRep:
    Any proof? They'd be seriously insane to cut their users like that.

ReputationRep:
    OP you should write a strongly worded handwritten letter to Google and ask them to upgrade your **** broadband connection for free.

ReputationRep:
    How fast is superfast?

ReputationRep:
    I can't find anything on the net regarding this so where is your source? I bet you saw one of those crappy facebook posts about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chikane)
    I can't find anything on the net regarding this so where is your source? I bet you saw one of those crappy facebook posts about it.
    Or one of those emails:

"FWD: FWD: FWD: FWD: FWD: FWD: FWD: FWD: FWD: FWD: FWD: PLEASE SHARE THIS WITH YOUR FRIENDS"

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like rubbish, they can't reasonably be considering utterly annihilating a huge chunk of their user base.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Or one of those emails:

"FWD: FWD: FWD: FWD: FWD: FWD: FWD: FWD: FWD: FWD: FWD: PLEASE SHARE THIS WITH YOUR FRIENDS"
    Lol or one of those chainmail email if you don't share this you will have 10 years of bad luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SchoolAside)
    Source?
    I have 2 IPads one is a brand new IPad mini fully up to date. I have a powerful desktop PC fully updated. I also have a TV which has access to YT.

I was told by some friends at college.

The first I noticed was that YT on the TV stopped playing after less than a minute and showed a loading sign. I guessed maybe the internet was down.
    I next tried it on my IPad again it would not play videos despite the connection being ok.
    I tried it on my new IPad mini, again would not play some videos despite being logged out.
    It was the same on my HP desktop PC.
    Some videos will play some won't especially HD videos.
    The problem exists at all times of the day or night.

I told people at college and they said that its because YT has increased its bandwidth and that I won't be able to get most of it anymore.

ReputationRep:
    Lol or one of those chainmail email if you don't share this you will have 10 years of bad luck.
    Those are the worst lol :rofl:

Tbf it's approaching the 10 year anniversary since I started with emails :erm: Incoming bad luck?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    Sounds like rubbish, they can't reasonably be considering utterly annihilating a huge chunk of their user base.
    It is rubbish i can't find any news on this. Unless he proves me wrong :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

Tbf it's approaching the 10 year anniversary since I started with emails :erm: Incoming bad luck?
    Maybe you will turn into a spider

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you will turn into a spider
    That would be good luck :proud:

ReputationRep:

Maybe you already had 10 years of bad luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whorace)
    Maybe you already had 10 years of bad luck
    Then I am really out of sync with the world D:

ReputationRep:
    It's started happening. I have about 4 different devices all up to date (a HP desktop PC, 2 iPads and a TV) all are fully up to date. I check that regularly. So cant be a fault of the computer unless all failed at the same time?
    At 12am on 9th February, youtube videos stopped loading and would not play or would stop part of the way through, on all devices despite the internet connection being ok.

I mentioned the problem in our IT class at college and was told YT is increasing its bandwidth or something and will be largely unavailable to those without Superfast BB.

I guess 12am 9/2/16 is when they implemented the new changes in our region.

I watch a lot of skiing and cycling videos on YT which are in HD and they just won't load or stop after about 20 seconds. Rubbish videos play ok though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.