The Student Room Group

I need a synonym for 'even more'!

I am writing a cover letter, and my attempts at professional-sounding humour are, so far, embarrassing. The sentence I am writing is as follows:
"While my professional interests do not lie within the conventional boundaries of finance, law, and [even more] finance..."

I just need a sassy but respectful way to put it. Thanks!
Original post by JustJusty
I am writing a cover letter, and my attempts at professional-sounding humour are, so far, embarrassing. The sentence I am writing is as follows:
"While my professional interests do not lie within the conventional boundaries of finance, law, and [even more] finance..."

Hmmmm. Not sure professional-sounding humour is needed in a cover letter. I am unsure of how this sentence actually makes sense. What is the cover letter for?
Reply 2
above all?
Don't make any attempts at humour in your cover letter - it is such an easy way to alienate certain types of people. I've read thousands of cover letters and it is very rare that I found humour anything other than quite awkward to be honest.
I would suggest some sort of colon if you are talking about finance within finance.

Whilst my professional interests do not lie within finance, there are several aspects I enjoy including: Robbing grannies; pretending to be Leo on Wolf of Wall Street; making loads of dolla etc
Original post by Ethereal World
Hmmmm. Not sure professional-sounding humour is needed in a cover letter. I am unsure of how this sentence actually makes sense. What is the cover letter for?

It's for a work placement scheme. There will be hundreds of students applying, so I need a way to really stand out.

What I'm trying to say is that although I'm not going for the type of job that everyone else will be applying to, and I'm being a little ambitious about the placement I might get, I'm still a good applicant.

The place where I live is basically known as finance central, so I'm putting it out there that I'm not going for finance.
It's for a work placement scheme. There will be hundreds of students applying, so I need a way to really stand out.

What I'm trying to say is that although I'm not going for the type of job that everyone else will be applying to, and I'm being a little ambitious about the placement I might get, I'm still a good applicant.

The place where I live is basically known as finance central, so I'm putting it out there that I'm not going for finance.

Okay right. Well, I have secured jobs through well-written and well-structured cover letters that convey enthusiasm but don't really get humorous because I agree with Byronic Hero that it's a bit awkward. If you PM me I'm happy to send you an example of a cover letter i've used and you can send me yours and I can edit/make suggestions.

This would involve sharing over e-mail though and some people on TSR are anal about that. Upto you.
Original post by Supersaps
I would suggest some sort of colon if you are talking about finance within finance.

Whilst my professional interests do not lie within finance, there are several aspects I enjoy including: Robbing grannies; pretending to be Leo on Wolf of Wall Street; making loads of dolla etc

:toofunny:

Some tips:

- There is nothing humorous in that sentence.
- If you insist on keeping that sentence, change the "While" to "Whilst".
- If it's a cover letter, you can't spend time telling them what you lack, tell them what you have.
- Bit perplexed as to why you would use finance twice in one sentence.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending