The Student Room Group

Work Experience for Under 16s?

Hi. I'm hoping to apply for medicine at university, and I want to do some volunteering/work experience that will hopefully teach me about the work environment and help me develop the required skills. Problem- I'm only 14. Is there anything I can do? Thanks.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by PixelatedOwl
Hi. I'm hoping to apply for medicine at university, and I want to do some volunteering/work experience that will hopefully teach me about the work environment and let me learn about individuals. Problem- I'm only 14. Is there anything I can do? Thanks.

Well, you can't really do any official work experience, but if you contact your local hospitals and doctor's surgeries they might be willing to let you volunteer :smile:
This is a tricky one. I think both hospitals and (particularly) GP practices will discourage you from volunteering with them. As well as issues around confidentiality and worrying about your behaviour and response to sensitive/traumatic situations (as much as these concerns might not actually apply to you personally !!), you will also be hampered by child protection rules. A lot of (perhaps all) workplaces have strict rules that limit whether children (<16) can be on the premises in staff areas, whose responsibility they are, whether they can be alone with adults, etc. These rules are difficult enough to surmount that I think most workplaces will just say "no".

Perhaps an alternative way would be to look for some kind of long-term volunteering? Could you befriend/mentor asylum seeker children at your local refugee centre? Could you help package food parcels for the Salvation Army? Etc. It might help if an adult relative was willing to volunteer with you.

When you are a few months away from your sixteenth birthday, you could organise a whole range of healthcare placements for when you are 16. Your medical school application will then have the "usual" shadowing placements but also be supported by long-term volunteering in an adult environment as well as a commitment to helping other people.

You do have many years in which to organise your work experience although it's great that you're thinking about it early.
At this stage it doesn't need to be impressive 'medicine' work experience - which you will find difficult to secure anyway.

Medicine is about people. Any experience you can get of dealing with people, of communicating, understanding, developing patience, sorting out problems etc etc is VERY valuable, and will score you points on your UCAS statement.

This can be anything like Youth Leader for Brownies etc, any volunteer work at a charity shop, anything you could do at your local church, or via any clubs you are part of. Sometimes small local shops, cafes etc will employ under 16s - its always worth asking. Once you are 16 look at voluntary work placements in aged care homes, special schools or children's nurseries etc - your school might be able to help you organise this to fit around 6th form.
Thanks everyone for the replies :smile: I will try all of them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending