Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got an unconditional to do illustration there & was wondering whether there was anyone else looking at the same course?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HelenaDore)
    I got an unconditional to do illustration there & was wondering whether there was anyone else looking at the same course?
    Hi Helena

I studied on the BA (Hons) Illustration course and graduated last year, it was honestly the best decision I have made. I learnt so many things from the lecturers, briefs and work experience, I especially enjoyed working with companies such as Hallmark and the Eden Project, and exhibiting at New Designers in London. It was challenging but so much fun as well, and now I am building on my freelance illustrations from all the knowledge I gained throughout the three years on the course, and it definitely helps to grow your passion for illustration, so I would absolutely recommend this course to anyone.

Good luck!

Ellen, Graduate Associate

ReputationRep:
    Hi Helena and Ellen!

I also got an unconditional offer to do illustration too!
    Ellen do you recommend either Gull or Ocean house for accommodation, or The Royal, or maybe have any friends that stayed at any of them? I live too far away to go down to look so im just going off the few pictures from the website...

Amy x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amyottley)
    Hi Helena and Ellen!

Ellen do you recommend either Gull or Ocean house for accommodation, or The Royal, or maybe have any friends that stayed at any of them? I live too far away to go down to look so im just going off the few pictures from the website...

Amy x
    Hi Amy!

Ellen is away at a UCAS event this week, so I hope you don't mind me giving you my experience of studying BA illustration here at PCA

I now work as a freelance illustrator in Plymouth. I love living here, there's lots of exciting projects and things to get involved with in the city, it's a really inspiring place to live.

I had a really great experience studying at Plymouth College of Art, I learnt so much about the creative industry, was given some amazing opportunities and felt really equipped for my journey after study too. My favourite thing about the course was having the opportunity to exhibit and sell my work while I was studying, it gave me so much confidence to see other people enjoying my work, and was a great way to do some market research while I was still developing my own style.

The illustration tutors are absolutely lovely and all practising illustrators in their own right, I found it really inspiring to see their own work and learn about their experiences and influences. They were always really up to date with current illustration trends and gave me some great sources of inspiration.

In terms of accommodation, I chose to live in private halls for my first year and was placed with a mixture of creative students which was great as I got to know lots of other creative people. I then moved in to a house-share for my 2nd and 3rd year with some friends from the Illustration and Graphic Design degrees at PCA.

My 3 years spent at the college were so worthwhile and I'm very jealous of you all on the cusp of starting your journey as students!

Best of luck with the next few years,

Emily, Tours and Outreach Officer

ReputationRep:
    Hi Helena and Ellen!

Amy x
    Hi!

I'm glad that I know someone who's going to the same place & studying the same course as me! I live 40 minutes away from PCA & there's busses that run directly from home & to Plymouth everyday, so for my first year I'll be staying at home & traveling. I'll be happy to show you around when it comes to September! Have you been to an Open Day? And do you mind me asking what made you choose PCA?

Heléna x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HelenaDore)
    Hi!

I'm glad that I know someone who's going to the same place & studying the same course as me! I live 40 minutes away from PCA & there's busses that run directly from home & to Plymouth everyday, so for my first year I'll be staying at home & traveling. I'll be happy to show you around when it comes to September! Have you been to an Open Day? And do you mind me asking what made you choose PCA?

Heléna x
    Hi Helena!
    Me too, I live really far away so it's nice to know that I'll know one person when I turn up in September!
    That's so kind thank you, I will definetly take you up on that! I've got my accommodation sorted now which is a relief!
    Yes I have I loved it instantly! Of course not, the facilities without a doubt were amazing and the fact that you can uses different courses facilities so openly not to mention I just loved the atmosphere and area!
    Do you have Facebook or Twitter at all, would be nice to speak properly, only if you don't mind that is!?

Amy X

ReputationRep:
    Hi Helena!
    Me too, I live really far away so it's nice to know that I'll know one person when I turn up in September!
    That's so kind thank you, I will definetly take you up on that! I've got my accommodation sorted now which is a relief!
    Yes I have I loved it instantly! Of course not, the facilities without a doubt were amazing and the fact that you can uses different courses facilities so openly not to mention I just loved the atmosphere and area!
    Do you have Facebook or Twitter at all, would be nice to speak properly, only if you don't mind that is!?

Amy X
    Yes its great to know what attracted others to the uni/area. I've private messaged you! It would be great to have a proper chat xxx

ReputationRep:
    Plymouth College Of Art

I know this thread is a few months old, but does PCA have its own subforum? I could only find the Plymouth University forum after a while of searching around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Galaxie501)
    Plymouth College Of Art

I know this thread is a few months old, but does PCA have its own subforum? I could only find the Plymouth University forum after a while of searching around.
    Hi there,

there isn't a Plymouth College of Art forum at present - but please feel free to get one started!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.