Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it normal to feel unsafe as a minority? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Especially, if you are in an area where there are not many minorities?

For example, you are alone, waiting for a lift at night and there is a few troublesome looking teenagers on bikes around.

ReputationRep:
    obv

</thread>

ReputationRep:
    Anyone can be a minority. Are you speaking in code for people of colour? :holmes:
    I'm sure anyone who's in an area where not many people are like them will feel strange.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know, depends where you live really. Where I live I feel safer in an area without a lot of minorities than one with a lot of minorities but I feel in England at least, this is secondary to more socio-economic factors.

Also you must be more specific, not all minorities are the same. I wouldn't want to be with more of minorities (as a blanket term) for the sake of being around more minorities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie S)
    obv

</thread>
    I'm not good at this **** am I :ashamed:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mango peeler)
    Anyone can be a minority. Are you speaking in code for people of colour? :holmes:
    I'm sure anyone who's in an area where not many people are like them will feel strange.

People of colour , yes. Thing is, I have lived here all of my life and sometimes it is like constantly having to look over my shoulder for the hardcore racists.

99% of people are absolutely fine, its the idiots that concern me. And you know, not getting into the fights all of the time would be nice. (I used to get into a lot of fights with bnp supporters who decided they didn't like me lol).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom.x.Gotze)
    People of colour , yes. Thing is, I have lived here all of my life and sometimes it is like constantly having to look over my shoulder for the hardcore racists.

99% of people are absolutely fine, its the idiots that concern me. And you know, not getting into the fights all of the time would be nice. (I used to get into a lot of fights with bnp supporters who decided they didn't like me lol).
    wait. what even are you? Are you a person of colour and saying you're worried about white racists? Or..white and worried about minorities?

ReputationRep:
    Yes. White, black, Muslim, atheist, Christian - all feel unsafe as a minority.

ReputationRep:
    wait. what even are you? Are you a person of colour and saying you're worried about white racists? Or..white and worried about minorities?
    I am mixed race. . . and I worry about white racists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlwaysWatching)
    Yes. White, black, Muslim, atheist, Christian - all feel unsafe as a minority.
    this lol

I am mixed race. . . and I worry about white racists.
    cool

ReputationRep:
    No....should feel safe in most places

ReputationRep:
    this lol

cool

Not really, its a bit **** having to look behind your shoulder because some strangers may want to attack you.

ReputationRep:

For example, you are alone, waiting for a lift at night and there is a few troublesome looking teenagers on bikes around.
    Minority or not, everyone would do anything possible in order to avoid contact with tracksuit-wearing, bike-riding, pot-smoking teenagers.

ReputationRep:
    It's worth remembering that the kind of person you're describing there will generally shout abuse/cause trouble for almost anyone who doesn't closely match them. If you were white you would probably get abuse from them for something else that marks you out as different. Essentially they do it because they're ***** rather than because you're a different race.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah all the time I get funny looks too

ReputationRep:

tbh I'd be scared no matter what race I was x'D
    #takingTheStairs

ReputationRep:
    dunno

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.