Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sh*tty website and applying for a job... Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok... this might be a slightly different thread, but is one regarding an utterly useless website, for a local company that I know I would be able to get a job with.

I had previously applied for a job with above mentioned company (notified via a jobs board), and got through to the interview stage. Didn't get it; but have since got a part-time job elsewhere. However, I still look through the page of the previous company from time to time, to check if there have been any new vacancies posted. Over the last year, on their "Careers" page, I had found a posting for a "Saturday sales position" that hadn't moved, which wouldn't be worth my time and effort tbh. However, I had noticed today when looking on said website, a small list of full-time jobs, whose application date had in fact passed over the last year. To be honest, I am feeling really pretty angry, that despite looking on that website quite frequently, those jobs had only come to my attention now. And not even on the "Correct" part of the website! In addition, I have also noticed that the "Closed" jobs haven't even been taken down from their website!

Does anyone else have any similar experiences where they have missed a job application deadline, due to an incompetent/ poorly designed website layout?

No trolling please

ReputationRep:
    Yes, ive missed out on being able to apply for a few grad schemes / jobs because something on the website wasnt working, the submit button, a drop-down menu that has a mandatory option to select isnt working, their server's constantly going down etc.

I applied for a finance scheme that literally took me like 2 days to fill in, since they had like 6 questions that required answers that could not exceed 2000 characters, i had looked online and seen that this specific company actually DID want applicants to write out well organised and relatively lengthy answers

and after doing all of that, when i went to submit, the webpage went down, and after refreshing, it had submitted a completely blank application and i could not apply again with my details, when i logged into the account i had made, it was showing as submitted, but like i said, it looked like i had literally submitted 'nothing', which would be impossible since most questions were * and required and answer. in hindseight, I probably should have called them as i did have a pretty strong application, but i was just so frustrated i just didnt bother, i had just gone through the same long kind of application for like 8 different grad schemes and it was just getting annoying

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.