Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I thought I'd create my own discussion thread here, as I've read so many others relating to this topic, over the past few days.

I'm 23 years old and I've already got A-levels... That are pretty terrible (A,D,E) and I've already been to university, studying the first year of a Computing related degree. However, cutting a long story short, like most people I didn't realise until about a year where I really want to be.

I know now that a career in life sciences, specifically Biochemistry is exactly where I want to be, as over the past year I've fallen deeper in love with the subject. Therefore, I want to go to university to study Biochemistry, but unfortunately due to my A-Levels being all art based subjects I'll have to gain a completely new set of entry requirements.

I'm faced with 2 options, an Access to HE in Science or to study a fresh set of A-Levels. Up until about a month ago, I was firmly set on an Acess course but after shopping around at universities, I soon realised that the top universities didn't really like the qualification (expecially since I was studying a distance learning Access HE course)

With the above being said, I now want to self teach A-Levels Biology, Chemistry and Maths. Has anybody got any experience with self-teaching A-Levels? Ideally I'd like to apply for September 2017 entry (I don't want to get too much older before going to uni) so this leaves me 17 months to get AAA-AAB in 3 self-taught A-Levels. Doable? Any advice?

Thanks in advance!
    P.S. I know it'll require no life and how incredibly hard it will be. I like a challenge.

ReputationRep:
    Ngl- your chosen a-levels are very tough. It's not just understanding the subjects but the exam technique. Unfortunately, exam technique is something you will never get to grips with individually so I recommend getting a tutor preferably someone with experience of the exam boards you will be sitting but otherwise a post grad who has sat those exams. They are costly but far cheaper than retakes should you fall down. There are a multitude of textbooks and revision guides that really helped me with self study when I was forced to take extended time off college.
    Hope that helps x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My situation is sort of related. I'm starting to realise where I want to be career wise but I am still pretty much clueless with the whole process when it comes to applying and entry requirements.

I have 3 A levels in:
    OCR Maths - E
    Edexcel Graphic Design - A*
    Edexcel Music Technology - D

I am now wanting to aim for a uni course in Philosophy, Psychology or Sociology.

I haven't fully settled on a uni or course yet but I am wanting to aim for a decent uni, entry requirements Ive looked at are around AAB and ABB.

I am thinking about self studying Maths and Sociology A-Levels for the June 2017 exams. I am choosing to do maths again since I didn't really try during sixth form and now I believe I can push for an A. Since self studying sociology will be something new to me it is a gamble, but I am interested in the subject and dedicated to get at least a B (but hopefully an A).

Say best case scenario happens and I get an A in both. How will this coincide with the entry requirements?

Won't I technically have A*AAD? However graphic design and music tech are completely unrelated subjects.

Also another quick question. Since I have an E in Maths from OCR, what would happen if I took the AQA maths exams? If I get a higher grade in the AQA exam next June what will happen with my OCR grade?

ReputationRep:
    would you not be interested in saving up some money and paying for the a levels and doing distance learning courses? I know it can be quite a lot of money but getting a tutor that you can email and all the course content you need it would probably help you get those grades!

ReputationRep:
    Hey i am too in a similar situation like you guys i am self studying 4 whole a levels (Econ English lang History and maths) for examination in June next year.Pm me if u wanna get in touch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idunno99)
    Hey i am too in a similar situation like you guys i am self studying 4 whole a levels (Econ English lang History and maths) for examination in June next year.Pm me if u wanna get in touch.
    Same have you begun revising? when do u plan too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhoxc)
    Same have you begun revising? when do u plan too?
    Hey!
    I'm studying the course content right now. I'll start revising when i thoroughly study it which probably wont be before January next year Maths is giving me a hard time tho. Everything else is under control and seems very do-able. Pm me if you wanna get in touch

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.