Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

why is it that every 2 or 3 years each successive government has to shake things up? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Now they have changed the grades to numbers. I don't have a problem with that. But scrapping coursework? Come really? I mean REALLY? whose bright idea was that? For my degree, sure i have sat a couple of exams, but most of my work has been evidence based. And by that i mean presentations and coursework. By stripping this component from the gcse curriculum David cameron and his government has done the children of our country a great disservice imho!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSRFT8)
    Cant comment on Degrees as i havent started mine yet, however during GCSE`s it was ridiculous how simple it was too secure the best grades. There were people being awarded Distinctions in ICT for example for creating a power point with animations...
    In addition removing coursework is fairer as some students were gaining higher marks simply because the teacher "liked" them and others were gaining lower marks even though their work was alot better. It also eradicates plagiarism and crediting stupid kids getting As and A*s even though the work was not even theirs. I dont understand how this is an injustice, left wing students look for any excuse to slate the government its hilarious.
    Left wing students? lol. to give credit to you, in my day (roughly 20 years ago) cheating, and the internet, was not so much a problem. But then i guess things have changed a lot since my day?

ReputationRep:
    Cheating is not even the only thing though, what about sucking up the teacher and they give you like 2 marks extra and you get a grade which you dont deserve. And well im in year 13 and theres people in year 12 selling their coursework (good money tbh) too kids in year 11. Now im not sure about you but if i was offered a full folder of coursework for say ICT for £250 (Current going rate at my school -.-) i would not even think twice before taking it. Maybe its the same at degree level (doubt it) but a small minority probably are guilty.
    At degree level, marks are based on a range of standards, from exams to presentations and coursework. What i have seen is people read out powerpoint material, which i very much suspect was wholly their own work. But ultimately you are only cheating yourself, if you do cheat for these mark schemes. Because something else important at degree level is building positive working relationships with your tutors and supervisor. And that is something that no amount of positive discrimination, or 'cheating' will ever solve!

Sorry this has been such a problem for you.

ReputationRep:
    How? If we were both going GCSE business and i did a BTEC and you did exams, you revised and got an A, i cheated and got an A i have still got the grade or am i missing something? I understand you are implying that you wont have a knowledge of the content should you progress too A-levels/degrees in the that subject but the majority of kids who do it at GCSE dont really care and if they did they would not do it.
    the point is someone who cheats, won't have the relevant knowledge or information, or skills or other abilities (confidence, research reading etc). Which comes with hard work in to education. I accept that i am an honest person, and maybe there are lots of people who aren't as honest as me.

And if a gcse pupil cheats, and is hoping to get a job at macdonalds after school, good luck to them. But if this same pupil cheats, and then thinks that they will walk a levels and or an access let alone under/post graduate, i'm sorry but they are in for a rude awakening.

The truth generally catches up with you in the end.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.