Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Please David, don't do this to our schools!?!! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BioStudentx)
    You completely missed the point. It went right over your head. It creates a more hardworking generation (which is exactly what we want). And in all walks of life, we will have to memorise things. Memory is a vital part of being a functional human.
    Nope, a more hardworking generation is exactly what the government wants. It doesn't necessarily equal a better future unless people are working towards the right things, and memorising facts we'll never need is a farcry from what education should be about. Given, it's a part of it, to an extent, and is more important for some subjects than others. And I'm not undermining the importance of a good memory, but it gets taken to the extreme in exams and often there's information being memorised just for the sake of memorising.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Bright Eyes)
    Nope, a more hardworking generation is exactly what the government wants. It doesn't necessarily equal a better future unless people are working towards the right things, and memorising facts we'll never need is a farcry from what education should be about. Given, it's a part of it, to an extent, and is more important for some subjects than others. And I'm not undermining the importance of a good memory, but it gets taken to the extreme in exams and often there's information being memorised just for the sake of memorising.
    But it isn't what education is all about. Again, a large proportion of questions require you to apply that knowledge in unfamiliar situations so it is testing your application. How can you apply something you haven't learnt? So how else would they test the students?

ReputationRep:
    i have a very bad memory because of a head injury and subsequent mental illness i now have. Does that mean that i should be penalised at uni??

ReputationRep:
    BTEC should be scrapped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajneetk)
    BTEC should be scrapped.
    why rajneetk?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john2054)
    coursework is much closer to a degree education than 100% exams, im afraid
    This!

ReputationRep:
    what do you mean popcorns>>??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Popcorns)
    This!
    Unless you take a subject like Physics.

For people who can not write essays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caitlinford3)
    He's done it because he wants all students to work harder and therefore get better grades, so we can compete overall with countries like Asia etc. Other than that, what's the benefit? It's seriously stripping kids away from their childhood, as soon as they get in year 7 now it's all about mocks and exams (I actually read through a year 7 geography exam they're being made to do and it was talking about contour lines, converting grid references, case studies) and my sister who is in year 8 is already learning about lipase and how it breaks down fats into lipids and such and it's just such a mess.

YES educate children, YES a test should determine whether you are able to go to university or not, NO to making it so difficult and putting so much stress on kids. People aren't going to be able to get jobs etc in the future because they'll all be looking for students fresh out of university, so poverty is going to increase and the amount of people claiming benefits is going to increase. It's just a mess
    LOL Asia isn't a country

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    why rajneetk?
    It's all coursework!
    Most BTEC students lack exam technique but it can be argued they have better time management skills and essay writing alongside structuring responses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BioStudentx)
    But it isn't what education is all about. Again, a large proportion of questions require you to apply that knowledge in unfamiliar situations so it is testing your application. How can you apply something you haven't learnt? So how else would they test the students?
    You could test students with coursework graded in such a way that you can tell if they've understood the subject or are merely repeating it.

Outside of exams you're almost never going to be expected to work in exam conditions, you will always be able to talk to someone, or look up something you're not sure of.

ReputationRep:
    It's all coursework!
    Most BTEC students lack exam technique but it can be argued they have better time management skills and essay writing alongside structuring responses.
    okay good points

ReputationRep:
    okay good points
    AQA English literature at A2 has 40% coursework in it which I find 100% stupid but great at the same time lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwilym101)
    You could test students with coursework graded in such a way that you can tell if they've understood the subject or are merely repeating it.

Outside of exams you're almost never going to be expected to work in exam conditions, you will always be able to talk to someone, or look up something you're not sure of.
    The second part is true but it also teaches students to use their initiative more and be able to work independently in pressured environments.

And to "understand a subject" part of that will involve recalling and remembering the basic principles. As I've said before you can't apply the knowledge to unfamiliar situations if you can't remember it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caitlinford3)
    He's done it because he wants all students to work harder and therefore get better grades, so we can compete overall with countries like Asia etc. Other than that, what's the benefit? It's seriously stripping kids away from their childhood, as soon as they get in year 7 now it's all about mocks and exams (I actually read through a year 7 geography exam they're being made to do and it was talking about contour lines, converting grid references, case studies) and my sister who is in year 8 is already learning about lipase and how it breaks down fats into lipids and such and it's just such a mess.

YES educate children, YES a test should determine whether you are able to go to university or not, NO to making it so difficult and putting so much stress on kids. People aren't going to be able to get jobs etc in the future because they'll all be looking for students fresh out of university, so poverty is going to increase and the amount of people claiming benefits is going to increase. It's just a mess

ReputationRep:
    BTEC should be scrapped.
    Ridiculous point

BTECs are so valued, they have higher employability than A levels for both graduates (80% vs 73%) and non graduates (49% vs 45%)

I did a BTEC in Computing a few years ago and it got me on to study an MSci degree in Computer Science at a good university and I dont have a problem at all with the content or the exams as it is just assessing the knowledge that you already have in a different way

Also I have secured placement at a really good company and one of the interviewers said that they were impressed by the amount of content that was covered on my BTEC and that it was a good decision that I made to take it instead of A levels as real world practical skills are more valued (after they asked why i did) - thats coming from someone who works in industry

I have also heard the same at a previous placement that I did, where I overheard one of the higher managers talking to my line manager asking about my background and whether training me was going to utilise too much of their time, and my line manager replied "its okay, he has a BTEC" - subsequently that manager offered me a permanent job (part-time around my studies) on my second day there - this was also in an IT role

So why on earth would you want to scrap them? the skills they provide are perfectly adequate to go on to further study and they are preferred by employers, I also have a friend who got an apprenticeship as a Software Engineer and the first part of the apprenticeship included doing a BTEC level 3 which he already had and got to progress and advance a lot quicker than the people with A levels who spent the first year of their apprenticeship doing the BTEC that they could have done instead of their A levels which were pretty useless as all the initial skills they needed were covered on the BTEC that they could have already done 2+ years previous.

Would love to get reasonable response

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yt7777)
    Ridiculous point

BTECs are so valued, they have higher employability than A levels for both graduates (80% vs 73%) and non graduates (49% vs 45%)

I did a BTEC in Computing a few years ago and it got me on to study an MSci degree in Computer Science at a good university and I dont have a problem at all with the content or the exams as it is just assessing the knowledge that you already have in a different way

Also I have secured placement at a really good company and one of the interviewers said that they were impressed by the amount of content that was covered on my BTEC and that it was a good decision that I made to take it instead of A levels as real world practical skills are more valued (after they asked why i did) - thats coming from someone who works in industry

I have also heard the same at a previous placement that I did, where I overheard one of the higher managers talking to my line manager asking about my background and whether training me was going to utilise too much of their time, and my line manager replied "its okay, he has a BTEC" - subsequently that manager offered me a permanent job (part-time around my studies) on my second day there - this was also in an IT role

So why on earth would you want to scrap them? the skills they provide are perfectly adequate to go on to further study and they are preferred by employers, I also have a friend who got an apprenticeship as a Software Engineer and the first part of the apprenticeship included doing a BTEC level 3 which he already had and got to progress and advance a lot quicker than the people with A levels who spent the first year of their apprenticeship doing the BTEC that they could have done instead of their A levels which were pretty useless as all the initial skills they needed were covered on the BTEC that they could have already done 2+ years previous.

Would love to get reasonable response
    Wow!!!

Well...I take my point back. That's absolutely amazing!
    I never knew about the employability rate as I've always heard BTEC's are not valued by employers and universities. My teachers at my sixth form told me that universities do not "like" them compared to traditional A Levels.
    Interesting to hear about the apprenticeship side of things.

You've done really well!!

ReputationRep:
    Wow!!!

Well...I take my point back. That's absolutely amazing!
    I never knew about the employability rate as I've always heard BTEC's are not valued by employers and universities. My teachers at my sixth form told me that universities do not "like" them compared to traditional A Levels.
    Interesting to hear about the apprenticeship side of things.

You've done really well!!
    Thanks for a nice response, apologies if I came across angry in my first post :P

Yeah you find that with teachers sometimes they are very set in there ways especially the older ones, which isnt very good considering kids will usually take what they say as fact but currently 95% of UK universities accept BTEC qualifications for entry and this has been consistently growing over the past 10 years even certain courses at Oxbridge accept e.g. Art, Computer Science, Engineering and Psychology (obviously for CS and Eng the Maths requirements are still there though)

But yeah the employability this is really important, I had friends at college who mocked me for taking BTEC (they did A levels) they said I wouldnt get into uni or get a good job and now a lot of them (who didnt go to uni) are working in unskilled jobs (mostly supermarkets and restaurants) and this summer i will be working in Cyber Security before going back to uni to finish the last 1/2 years of my degree

ReputationRep:
    I had a similar experience when applying for university. They were impressed by what I had covered during my BTEC and offered me a place straight away.

After many years.. I now work for a university. I use more of those skills I learnt during my BTEC now.. than anything I was taught at University!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yt7777)
    Thanks for a nice response, apologies if I came across angry in my first post :P

Yeah you find that with teachers sometimes they are very set in there ways especially the older ones, which isnt very good considering kids will usually take what they say as fact but currently 95% of UK universities accept BTEC qualifications for entry and this has been consistently growing over the past 10 years even certain courses at Oxbridge accept e.g. Art, Computer Science, Engineering and Psychology (obviously for CS and Eng the Maths requirements are still there though)

But yeah the employability this is really important, I had friends at college who mocked me for taking BTEC (they did A levels) they said I wouldnt get into uni or get a good job and now a lot of them (who didnt go to uni) are working in unskilled jobs (mostly supermarkets and restaurants) and this summer i will be working in Cyber Security before going back to uni to finish the last 1/2 years of my degree
    Awh it's fine lol Xx
    I've learnt new things today it's interesting to know that 95% of universities accept BTEC I never knew!
    Your post is making me consider an apprenticeship after my A Levels.

Cyber security seems so cooool !! James Bond type thing lmao

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.