Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bald/balding guys....girls opinions Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zimz)
    Difference is, I see good-looking women with poor, ogre-looking men than I see good-looking men with ogre-looking women. My opinion *shrug*
    how do you know they are poor? i can show you picture of some ass-faced men who have stunning partners - and they all are bonkers rich

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alkaline.)
    i was kidding ffs
    you can't 'see' virility

it's not ridiculous lmaooo hair is important it changes a whole look, why don't you date a bald women huh? men are supposed to be hairy anyway (more than women) it's justifiable that a woman would like some head hair too

not every women cares, but alot like a good head of hair even if they won't admit it

and you wanted girls opinions so here is one of them
    'Men are supposed to be hairy'...yeah but that's body hair...which is caused by DHT, the same thing as scalp baldness. They're all really secondary sex characteristics. Male baldness is probably only seen as bad because the media etc tells us it is - e.g. all those 'hot' celebrities taking drugs for their hair and wearing wigs.

That's fine...i appreciate your opinion. How would/will you feel when the guy you're with starts losing his hair?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chakede)
    how do you know they are poor?
    Because I know a lot of them personally. Obviously, there would be some that are rich.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jd_uk)
    'Men are supposed to be hairy'...yeah but that's body hair...which is caused by DHT, the same thing as scalp baldness. They're all really secondary sex characteristics. Male baldness is probably only seen as bad because the media etc tells us it is - e.g. all those 'hot' celebrities taking drugs for their hair and wearing wigs.

That's fine...i appreciate your opinion. How would/will you feel when the guy you're with starts losing his hair?
    I've never been exposed to negative media about balding but I still think that so i don't think it's media influence I think it's just innate that I don't like it, even when I was a kid one of my uncles was bald and I was like wth lol
    which hot (male) celebrities wear wigs ? o.O Im glad I don't check celebrity news enough to be aware of these things, all I know is donald trump is being accused of wearing a toupee...

If I was married to him I would just accept it and (because I've chosen this guy to be with forever, so it's kind of my responsibility to accept it) and if I properly loved him I don't think I'd care (unsure about how rare this type of love is these days though )
    Inevitably baldness is going to happen as he grows old which I already know, I wouldn't really like it to happen early though but my response is above.

ReputationRep:
    If I was married to him I would just accept it and (because I've chosen this guy to be with forever, so it's kind of my responsibility to accept it) and if I properly loved him I don't think I'd care (unsure about how rare this type of love is these days though )
    Inevitably baldness is going to happen as he grows old which I already know, I wouldn't really like it to happen early though but my response is above.[/QUOTE]

Everyone has been exposed to negative media about it really..in so much as the guys with lead romantic roles in TV/films etc will wear hear pieces, hair concealer etc etc. E.g. sean connery as james bond back in the day but now maybe 50% of those guys do something to cover up their balding. Just google balding celebrities and you will see how many of them have either had transplants or wear wigs/concealer. Most will be taking hormone altering drugs to prevent it. Then look at the average guy on the street. A receding hairline at the very least is common among guys even in their early 20's.

Scientists say it evolved as a form of dominance and masulinity so i definitely think it's a cultural/social pressure thing rather than an innate thing.

And if you wanna see a really extreme version of how the media and advertisers make people think baldness is ugly then check out 'the bald wingmen' adverts that Rogaine makes. There would be uproar if the same adverts were made about women:

https://youtu.be/ycj6a5PuBKY

ReputationRep:
    I've been bald since I was 20 and honestly - some will like it, some won't. I don't give a toss what one person thinks. Nobody has an inherent right to have a significant other.

(Original post by Sephiroth)
    I wouldn't go near a bald guy. I'm not even keen on the lazy *******s who get their hair cut really short at a barbers. A stylish man is attractive and I appreciate a good hair style. While going bald may not be a choice for some people there's a reason wigs were invented. If you start losing your eyesight you get glasses. If you start losing your hearing you get a hearing aid. There's no shame in a man losing their hair getting a nice wig.
    Haha - if I did that my mates would send me back to the fancy dress shop. Also, imagine if it came off during sex, outing you as the king of insecurity. An Inbetweeners scene comes to mind, it's as ridiculous as that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    I've been bald since I was 20 and honestly - some will like it, some won't. I don't give a toss what one person thinks. Nobody has an inherent right to have a significant other.

Haha - if I did that my mates would send me back to the fancy dress shop. Also, imagine if it came off during sex, outing you as the king of insecurity. An Inbetweeners scene comes to mind, it's as ridiculous as that.

Good for you ... anyone who doesn't like your appearance isn't deserving of you anyway.

Personally..thinking about this has made me realise that i wouldn't get with a woman who expressed that baldness is an issue for her. Why would I when like most guys i'm gonna lose my hair at some point? I'd even dump a girlfriend over it if i felt she wouldn't find me as physiclsly attractive if i lost my hair or just shaved it off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jd_uk)

Everyone has been exposed to negative media about it really..in so much as the guys with lead romantic roles in TV/films etc will wear hear pieces, hair concealer etc etc. E.g. sean connery as james bond back in the day but now maybe 50% of those guys do something to cover up their balding. Just google balding celebrities and you will see how many of them have either had transplants or wear wigs/concealer. Most will be taking hormone altering drugs to prevent it. Then look at the average guy on the street. A receding hairline at the very least is common among guys even in their early 20's.

Scientists say it evolved as a form of dominance and masulinity so i definitely think it's a cultural/social pressure thing rather than an innate thing.

And if you wanna see a really extreme version of how the media and advertisers make people think baldness is ugly then check out 'the bald wingmen' adverts that Rogaine makes. There would be uproar if the same adverts were made about women:

https://youtu.be/ycj6a5PuBKY
    Not negative media that directly highlights it at all actually, i didnt even know that men did that obviously know i do because you've told me, so for me its not a social pressure thing at all cause its never been an issue bought up around me.... I've always liked Guys with a lot of hair on their head and a nice hairline and i still do and find otherwise unappealing ngl

"Oh no my hairs falling out" very masculine and dominant i see.... Jk but seriously ik villains in films tend to be bold and they're supposed to be "powerful" or whatever but idc abt that lol there will be some women who like it so uno

I dont even watch TV on TV anymore just online stream specific programmes that i like and watch films tbh, maybe this is why I'm not exposed to ads like that, I'll check it out sure, i have seen various hair growth ads on sides of websites though ngl for male baldness but i doubt they work

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    that's what we were saying .......................
    Chill out.

ReputationRep:
    Not negative media that directly highlights it at all actually, i didnt even know that men did that obviously know i do because you've told me, so for me its not a social pressure thing at all cause its never been an issue bought up around me.... I've always liked Guys with a lot of hair on their head and a nice hairline and i still do and find otherwise unappealing ngl

"Oh no my hairs falling out" very masculine and dominant i see.... Jk but seriously ik villains in films tend to be bold and they're supposed to be "powerful" or whatever but idc abt that lol there will be some women who like it so uno

I dont even watch TV on TV anymore just online stream specific programmes that i like and watch films tbh, maybe this is why I'm not exposed to ads like that, I'll check it out sure, i have seen various hair growth ads on sides of websites though ngl for male baldness but i doubt they work

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Villains in films being bald says it all about how the media puts a negative spin on it.

But although you joke about the dominance thing..who's perceived as more dominant..someone like Jason statham/vin deisel etc or someone with 'pretty' hair like the kids from one direction? The shame is that the media says those guys ahould be confined to action film roles because of their hair loss and can't play the role of the romantic guy...hence why those guys wear wigs/have transplants etc

ReputationRep:
    Statham is hot i guess

ReputationRep:
    Time and time again my point is being proved though. Bald guys simply are at a disadvantage. I understand that it's about confidence and how you come present yourself to a degree, however, we are all judged initially outwardly on the way we look. So if baldness is already something that turns most women off, then these bald guys never have a chance to prove that confidence and show off their personality, BECAUSE THEY ARE REJECTED AT THE FIRST STAGE. Looks aren't everything but obviously they matter.

In the same way, you see an overweight woman in a bar/club, most men aren't into that and so they're not going to approach her, even if she happened to be a sweet, decent, genuine caring woman with many good traits. It's the same with bald guys; most women will gravitate towards men with hair because the how someone looks is the first initial level of whether you find someone attractive or not and whether you want to get to someone better.

The only women that seem interested in bald guys are black women (not surprising as black women are known to be the least desired race - http://www.centrictv.com/life-love/r...ing-block.html) and those women who have a certain fetish for bald guys. You know the ones that say "Oh I have a special thing for bald guys" Exactly like how some men have a thing for larger, bigger girls.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 2, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.