Can this affect my chances of going to a good university?

Watch
samvincent1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,

I'm currently in Year 12 doing AS levels in Business Studies, Applied Science, Core Maths and Cambridge Technicals in I.T. When I chose these I had no idea what I wanted to do and I didn't really think I was going to go to university...

However now all of that has completely changed and I have realised that I want to go to a Russel Group university in either Economics or Computer Science, obviously with my A-level choices this would not be possible so I am going to retake Year 12 taking Maths, Computer Science and Geography instead while carrying on with Business Studies at A2.

Will the fact that I am restarting Year 12 affect my chances of getting into a good uni?
Quillelizabeth
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No, not at all. I did the same thing and I'm now in my second year at Exeter ^^
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by samvincent1)
Hi,

I'm currently in Year 12 doing AS levels in Business Studies, Applied Science, Core Maths and Cambridge Technicals in I.T. When I chose these I had no idea what I wanted to do and I didn't really think I was going to go to university...

However now all of that has completely changed and I have realised that I want to go to a Russel Group university in either Economics or Computer Science, obviously with my A-level choices this would not be possible so I am going to retake Year 12 taking Maths, Computer Science and Geography instead while carrying on with Business Studies at A2.

Will the fact that I am restarting Year 12 affect my chances of getting into a good uni?
Restarting Year 12 with new subjects is generally looked upon sympathetically by universities.

It's definitely a better idea than applying with not so suitable subjects or resitting Yr 13 because you didn't get the grades you wanted. Because you're switching subjects it isn't usually considered to be sitting your A levels over 3 years (which is what many universities will state they wont accept).

Some universities will get a bit snitty about taking business studies if economics A level is available. If it isn't an option at your college/school then make sure your reference when you apply explains that - and explains why you've changed your options and restarted Yr 12. This is exactly the sort of stuff you should have in your reference
Wired_1800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi,

First, if you want to study Economics or Computer Science. I think it may be worth taking a module in Maths, Economics or CS at A’ Levels. On the other hand, I don’t think you initial choice of Business Studies, Applied Science, Core Maths and Cambridge I.T. may be that bad

I think that you should research on the University that you want to go to and then contact them. The admissions office may be able to advise you better and may comment on your current choices. I am just a bit cautious that you may lose one year based on misinformation.

You have to realize that many students come from diverse academic backgrounds (i.e. IB, Scottish Highers, German Abitur, A’ levels, Degree Foundation), so it will be difficult to have a rock-hard set list of courses.

If you are certain about redoing Year 12, then you should not be worried about that situation. There are people that take gap years and don’t feel disadvantaged, so neither should you. As long as you explain the reason for retaking Year 12 (when asked), then you should be fine.

Good luck
samvincent1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quillelizabeth)
No, not at all. I did the same thing and I'm now in my second year at Exeter ^^
Nice, that's one of the universities I'm considering

(Original post by PQ)
Restarting Year 12 with new subjects is generally looked upon sympathetically by universities.

It's definitely a better idea than applying with not so suitable subjects or resitting Yr 13 because you didn't get the grades you wanted. Because you're switching subjects it isn't usually considered to be sitting your A levels over 3 years (which is what many universities will state they wont accept).

Some universities will get a bit snitty about taking business studies if economics A level is available. If it isn't an option at your college/school then make sure your reference when you apply explains that - and explains why you've changed your options and restarted Yr 12. This is exactly the sort of stuff you should have in your reference
Okay, and unfortunately my school doesn't do Economics as I'm already doing Business Studies I think I'm going to carry it on while dropping the rest of my subjects, so I would end up with 4 A-levels instead of 3. And yes I will definitely include this in my reference. Thanks for the help!

(Original post by Wired_1800)
Hi,

First, if you want to study Economics or Computer Science. I think it may be worth taking a module in Maths, Economics or CS at A’ Levels. On the other hand, I don’t think you initial choice of Business Studies, Applied Science, Core Maths and Cambridge I.T. may be that bad

I think that you should research on the University that you want to go to and then contact them. The admissions office may be able to advise you better and may comment on your current choices. I am just a bit cautious that you may lose one year based on misinformation.

You have to realize that many students come from diverse academic backgrounds (i.e. IB, Scottish Highers, German Abitur, A’ levels, Degree Foundation), so it will be difficult to have a rock-hard set list of courses.

If you are certain about redoing Year 12, then you should not be worried about that situation. There are people that take gap years and don’t feel disadvantaged, so neither should you. As long as you explain the reason for retaking Year 12 (when asked), then you should be fine.

Good luck
Ah okay, I think I am definitely going to retake Year 12 as I want to go to a good university so my subject choices need to be a lot stronger! Thanks for your help!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Okay, and unfortunately my school doesn't do Economics as I'm already doing Business Studies I think I'm going to carry it on while dropping the rest of my subjects, so I would end up with 4 A-levels instead of 3. And yes I will definitely include this in my reference. Thanks for the help!
It sounds like you're doing exactly the right things
Wired_1800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nice, that's one of the universities I'm considering

Ah okay, I think I am definitely going to retake Year 12 as I want to go to a good university so my subject choices need to be a lot stronger! Thanks for your help!
Okay. If you want to study Economics at University, you will need Mathematics. I have heard of some people not getting offers for Economics because of weak or insufficient background in Maths.

Good luck.
samvincent1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wired_1800)
Okay. If you want to study Economics at University, you will need Mathematics. I have heard of some people not getting offers for Economics because of weak or insufficient background in Maths.

Good luck.
Yeah for both Economics and Computer Science, maths is a necessity. I think my heart is set on retaking Year 12 now so I will definitely do maths, and potentially doing Further Maths AS in my final year as that will strengthen my application even more!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (505)
33.69%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (621)
41.43%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (305)
20.35%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (68)
4.54%

Watched Threads