Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

histogram yelp wat sort of distribution is this? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:

1. Is it wrong to say this is a normal distribution i.e. bell shaped? mean is 15.6 and mode is 15

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny McCoyne)

1. Is it wrong to say this is a normal distribution i.e. bell shaped? mean is 15.6 and mode is 15
    Is the data continuous? If so, it looks reasonably like a suitable Gamma distribution or a Gumbel distribution. Against normaility it appears to be strictly positive and to be skewed.

However, the big quesions are (i) where did it come from (i.e. what sort of mechanism?) and (ii) what do you want to do with it? A normal approximation may be sufficient depending on the purpose of the analysis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gregorius)
    Is the data continuous? If so, it looks reasonably like a suitable Gamma distribution or a Gumbel distribution. Against normaility it appears to be strictly positive and to be skewed.

However, the big quesions are (i) where did it come from (i.e. what sort of mechanism?) and (ii) what do you want to do with it? A normal approximation may be sufficient depending on the purpose of the analysis.
    It's number of hospital visits for 100 people in 5 years. So the 40 on the histogram covers 37-40.

ReputationRep:
    It's number of hospital visits for 100 people in 5 years. So the 40 on the histogram covers 37-40.
    Right. Then these are best modelled as over-dispersed Poisson - that it, like a Poisson distribution but with the variance not tied to the mean. The nicest distribution with this property is the Negative Binomial distribution. This distribution and supporting ancillary procedures (like regression) are built into most modern software packages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gregorius)
    Right. Then these are best modelled as over-dispersed Poisson - that it, like a Poisson distribution but with the variance not tied to the mean. The nicest distribution with this property is the Negative Binomial distribution. This distribution and supporting ancillary procedures (like regression) are built into most modern software packages.
    Right, I see. So are you saying that you cannot infer whether the histogram in the OP is normally distributed or not?

ReputationRep:
    Right, I see. So are you saying that you cannot infer whether the histogram in the OP is normally distributed or not?
    It can't be a normal distribution. There are no negative value.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.