Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm a first year History BA student at Kent and will be taking 4 exams in the summer, but it's recently dawned on me that I have absolutely no idea what I'll be walking into. I realise the exact structure of each exam is likely to vary depending on the module content, but can anyone give me some idea what to expect?

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, this really depends on the type of exams your university favours and may even vary from module to module. Some institutions go for the traditional sit-down exam, lasting 2 to 3 hours, during which you will answer 2 or 3 essay questions (usually one for each hour of the exam). These questions will be based upon the topics you covered over the course of the semester and the paper may be divided into sections, requiring you to answer one question only from each section (this is to discourage people from attending only the first few weeks of a semester then answering exam questions on those topics only without having attended the rest of the classes or learnt anything further about the module). The other route some universities take is the 24 hour open exam method. In these cases, essay questions are set and distributed and students are allowed to go away and write up their answers, with footnotes. They then have to submit these answers, probably electronically, within 24 hours. The best way to find out what the various exams for your different modules will be like is to ask your tutors, look at previous exam papers (which should give you an excellent idea of the type of questions to expect) and look at the handbooks for each module which you should have received at the beginning of the semester. Your school of history's website also most likely has information on this, plus exam timetables, in the 'current students' section of the site. I hope this helps. Best of luck with it all :-)
    • TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiracyan)
    I'm a first year History BA student at Kent and will be taking 4 exams in the summer, but it's recently dawned on me that I have absolutely no idea what I'll be walking into. I realise the exact structure of each exam is likely to vary depending on the module content, but can anyone give me some idea what to expect?
    Have you spoken to your tutor? They should be able to provide you with past exam paper or at least explain the structure and the type of questions and responses they expect

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.