Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Fashion Management/Marketing at University of Southampton Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone who's been offered a place at Southampton for Fashion Management/Marketing thinking of staying in halls in Southampton instead of Winchester? I'm thinking of staying in Mayflower Halls (if I choose Southampton as my first choice), which is apparently the ideal place to stay if you're thinking about commuting from Southampton to Winchester. Anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm a current student at the moment. Even though my course is based in Southampton, I know some people who are studying in Winchester. Mayflower Halls are probably the furthest away you could possibly be. You'd need to take a 20 min bus to the main campus from Southampton and then take the shuttle from there to Winchester (I'm assuming, that's the only place I know of where it stops). You'd be much better staying somewhere like Glen (2 mins on the bus, 5-10 min walk) or Wessex Lane (max 10 mins on the bus). You'd probably need to account for traffic also, especially coming from the city centre.

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm studying Fashion Management/Marketing at Winchester in September too hopefully (if I firm it which I think will be likely!)
    I am having the exact same dilemma about accommodation, Mayflower looks soooooooo nice and I think I would rather be in Southampton and then just commute to Winchester. My only concern was that I may be excluding myself from the "Winchester Arts Family"... But yeah Mayflower is what they recommend as it's close to the train station/bus station...

Might see you next year!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I am thinking of putting this course at Southampton as my first choice but I didn't manage to visit it! What are the main reasons for you choosing Southampton over other universities? I've also got offers from Westminster for Fashion Buying Management and UCA for Fashion Management and Marketing.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't either but I'm going to do an independent visit to go and check it out. I'm about two half hours away from Southampton so it's not too bad, whereabouts are you??
    I have an offer from UCA too but I didn't love Epsom that much, the uni and course was good but there didn't seem like there was much going on there.
    I think the main reasons I've chosen Southampton are because I wanted to be in a city and the course looks good from what I've seen online and I like the fact that they give you the opportunity to study a language. I also liked that it wasn't an arts specific uni so there would be a big range of people there. I equally haven't visited it yet though so it's just a case of what I have read.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kategreenway)
    I didn't either but I'm going to do an independent visit to go and check it out. I'm about two half hours away from Southampton so it's not too bad, whereabouts are you??
    I have an offer from UCA too but I didn't love Epsom that much, the uni and course was good but there didn't seem like there was much going on there.
    I think the main reasons I've chosen Southampton are because I wanted to be in a city and the course looks good from what I've seen online and I like the fact that they give you the opportunity to study a language. I also liked that it wasn't an arts specific uni so there would be a big range of people there. I equally haven't visited it yet though so it's just a case of what I have read.
    I went to an Open Day and the course looked pretty good, I just didn't like the fact that it was based in Winchester! When I went I instantly just felt I wouldn't enjoy living there (which is why if I pick this course I wanted to stay in Southampton). It's just down to preference I guess, so you might like the area :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kategreenway)
    Hi,

I'm studying Fashion Management/Marketing at Winchester in September too hopefully (if I firm it which I think will be likely!)
    I am having the exact same dilemma about accommodation, Mayflower looks soooooooo nice and I think I would rather be in Southampton and then just commute to Winchester. My only concern was that I may be excluding myself from the "Winchester Arts Family"... But yeah Mayflower is what they recommend as it's close to the train station/bus station...

Might see you next year!!
    Yea I agree Mayflower looks really good and its closest to the train station and even on the uni site they said those going to Winchester School of Art who want to live in Southampton are automatically placed there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChristinaP98)
    Yea I agree Mayflower looks really good and its closest to the train station and even on the uni site they said those going to Winchester School of Art who want to live in Southampton are automatically placed there!
    Yeah it looks seriously nice!! Are you firming your place there???

ReputationRep:
    Hey, lol I'm kind of late to this discussion but I'm thinking if I was to stay on the Winchester accommodation is there really a student life for us ? Like would we have our own type of student union or would we go to Southampton for that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i thought that too, i think the union is based in southampton but there are plenty or pubs and too clubs in winchester and they have a shuttle into southampton now too!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.