Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Investment banking with computer science degree? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm planning on doing a Btec level 3 extended diploma in computing and A level in maths as this is he requirement for Russel Group unis for computer science. I just wanted to know would it possible to get into investment banking with these qualifications and a degree from a university such as Kings College London/Bristol/Bath etc. And which would the best uni for me to get into investment banking that will allow my qualifications? Please help, thanks.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Axlerod)
    Hi, I'm planning on doing a Btec level 3 extended diploma in computing and A level in maths as this is he requirement for Russel Group unis for computer science. I just wanted to know would it possible to get into investment banking with these qualifications and a degree from a university such as Kings College London/Bristol/Bath etc. And which would the best uni for me to get into investment banking that will allow my qualifications? Please help, thanks.
    - Get yourself to a target/semi-target uni. Strong semi-targets are Bristol/Bath/Notts/Durham as they send in a few more bodies into the industry, but KCL/Edinburgh/St Andrews/Manchester show up too. I assume targets are a no go with your BTEC - however, I believe Oxford (maybe a few more places too) do consider applications from people with top marks in a BTEC and a Maths A-level for CS

- Try to get the best grades possible in both your BTEC and Maths A-level (mostly D*s and A/A* in your A-level)

- Get a CV sorted. Build upon it as much as possible. That means get involved: do extracurriculars, volunteer, lead teams/initiatives etc. Your academics are just used as a tool to put you into contention, whether you're shortlisted for Spring Week/Summer Internship/Grad Scheme interviews is entirely down to your CV.

- Apply to work experience and insight programmes. Some insight days are available to apply to as of now: Morgan Stanley (Open Day), JPMorgan (Schools Insight Day), HSBC (Inspiring Potential), BAML (Banking Uncovered). Others that open later are: RBS (Career Insight Programme), Credit Suisse (A-level Insight Day)

- Banks look for talent from all degree disciplines. Anything you get taught in any degree (including the perceived 'relevant' Finance/Economics courses) will be useless in terms of real world finance. All banks have a training scheme that runs for 6-8 weeks for their new graduate joiners, there is a condensed version for interns which runs for 1-2 weeks. Everything else will be learnt on the job

- Read more about the industry and keep up with business/financial news: Mergers and Inquisitions, the Unofficial Guide to Banking, TargetCareers - Banking, AllAboutFinanceCareers and the Investment Banking Guide by Vault, Wall Street Oasis - FAQ, Wall Street Prep, Investopedia, Canary Wharfian (How to get a Spring Week Guide)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    - Get yourself to a target/semi-target uni. Strong semi-targets are Bristol/Bath/Notts/Durham as they send in a few more bodies into the industry, but KCL/Edinburgh/St Andrews/Manchester show up too. I assume targets are a no go with your BTEC - however, I believe Oxford (maybe a few more places too) do consider applications from people with top marks in a BTEC and a Maths A-level for CS

- Try to get the best grades possible in both your BTEC and Maths A-level (mostly D*s and A/A* in your A-level)

- Get a CV sorted. Build upon it as much as possible. That means get involved: do extracurriculars, volunteer, lead teams/initiatives etc. Your academics are just used as a tool to put you into contention, whether you're shortlisted for Spring Week/Summer Internship/Grad Scheme interviews is entirely down to your CV.

- Apply to work experience and insight programmes. Some insight days are available to apply to as of now: Morgan Stanley (Open Day), JPMorgan (Schools Insight Day), HSBC (Inspiring Potential), BAML (Banking Uncovered). Others that open later are: RBS (Career Insight Programme), Credit Suisse (A-level Insight Day)

- Banks look for talent from all degree disciplines. Anything you get taught in any degree (including the perceived 'relevant' Finance/Economics courses) will be useless in terms of real world finance. All banks have a training scheme that runs for 6-8 weeks for their new graduate joiners, there is a condensed version for interns which runs for 1-2 weeks. Everything else will be learnt on the job

- Read more about the industry and keep up with business/financial news: Mergers and Inquisitions, the Unofficial Guide to Banking, TargetCareers - Banking, AllAboutFinanceCareers and the Investment Banking Guide by Vault, Wall Street Oasis - FAQ, Wall Street Prep, Investopedia, Canary Wharfian (How to get a Spring Week Guide)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks! As for BTEC, nearly all the uni bar Oxbridge/UCL accept BTEC along as I do maths A level alongside and Unis such as KCL accept just BTEC so I think I should be fine on that front.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! As for BTEC, nearly all the uni bar Oxbridge/UCL accept BTEC along as I do maths A level alongside and Unis such as KCL accept just BTEC so I think I should be fine on that front.
    Oxford does consider them!

Source: https://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/admissions/u...al_offers.html

If that's the case aim for one of the targets in your mix of UCAS options: Oxbridge, Warwick, UCL, Imperial.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    short answer, yes

ReputationRep:
    Oxford does consider them!

Source: https://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/admissions/u...al_offers.html

If that's the case aim for one of the targets in your mix of UCAS options: Oxbridge, Warwick, UCL, Imperial.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Better get that A* in maths then 😁 However I heard the Oxford maths entry exam is a nightmare 😂
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Better get that A* in maths then 😁 However I heard the Oxford maths entry exam is a nightmare 😂
    Yeah, I did it for 2016 entry and bombed so badly hahaha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I did it for 2016 entry and bombed so badly hahaha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ahh unlucky , which uni do you go then and what are you studying?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Ahh unlucky , which uni do you go then and what are you studying?
    Going this October to study Data Science (Maths, Statistics and Computer Science) at Warwick hopefully.

I have offers from UCL, Warwick and Nottingham; still waiting on Bristol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Going this October to study Data Science (Maths, Statistics and Computer Science) at Warwick hopefully.

I have offers from UCL, Warwick and Nottingham; still waiting on Bristol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nice, I hope you do well!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.