The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think people are annoyed that people aonly do this about football, and not for other things. I don't know to be honest.
Reply 2
In my opinion they are ugly, plus how does displaying a flag aid David Beckham in kicking a ball into a net from 12 yards?
Reply 3
It just makes it more exciting. It's a bit more fun than being terribly serious and miserable about it.
Reply 4
Cate
Why do some people seem to have such a great problem with people putting flags on their cars? It's not like the flags are harming you, and it's not like they're ugly or something.
:confused:

It's stupid and pointless. "Oh look, I'm in England and I need to show you that I support England by putting English flags everywhere, because if I didn't it wouldn't be obvious!" Can we not just take it for granted that the majority of the population are going to support England? It's hardly going to impress anyone.
Reply 5
jumpunderaboat
In my opinion they are ugly, plus how does displaying a flag aid David Beckham in kicking a ball into a net from 12 yards?

They are ugly? They are just england flags, a simple red cross on white. How can this be ugly? :confused:
Reply 6
On my way home I saw a van with about 7 flags on it. I think its going just a bit OOT at the moment. Sure support them but i don't see how loads of flags will help!
Reply 7
Zapsta
It's stupid and pointless. "Oh look, I'm in England and I need to show you that I support England by putting English flags everywhere, because if I didn't it wouldn't be obvious!" Can we not just take it for granted that the majority of the population are going to support England? It's hardly going to impress anyone.

Thats still no reason to be so terribly opposed to them as a lot of people I know are...
Reply 8
Cate
They are ugly? They are just england flags, a simple red cross on white. How can this be ugly? :confused:

Ok maybe ugly is too far, but they are definately not needed. I can prove I'm an England fan by watching the games rather than driving around with a flag sticking out my window.
Reply 9
It's just showing support for your country, what's wrong with that?
me!
It's just showing support for your country, what's wrong with that?

The attacks on flags are a codifiication of the general dissatisfaction with nineteenth century style nationalism

MB
Reply 11
musicboy
The attacks on flags are a codifiication of the general dissatisfaction with nineteenth century style nationalism

MB

Nice way of putting it :biggrin:

I can see an English flag on a landrover from my window. Doubt it'll last the night :biggrin:.

I think people find the flags a little too "in your face"
Noone actually pointed out the obvious fact: the England flag has never really been used that much. Usually the Union Jack is used.
The Union Jack is the official flag of our state, the United Kingdom.

But since devolution and because the Union Jack is being somewhat rejected by the Scots (and the Welsh), just as God Saves The Queen is (officially because there's a quite obscure verse in it about crushing rebellious Scots), a lot of English people have decided that enough is enough and there's nothing wrong with being proud of being English.

The English flag isn't appreciated that much because it represents nationalism. England is seen as a nation of narrow-minded people where immigrants will never be considered as being truly English, whereas Britain is seen as a more tolerant society where we attempt to integrate immigrants in one big happy family.

In the national census, saying your nationality is English instead of saying British is seen as a form of nationalism/racism because immigrants can't obtain English nationality (there is no official English nationality, you just have to be recognized by the majority as being English to be English), whereas British citizenship is obtained somewhat "easily" for somewhat who wasn't born in the UK or whose parents are foreign.
Reply 13
SamTheMan
Noone actually pointed out the obvious fact: the England flag has never really been used that much. Usually the Union Jack is used.
The Union Jack is the official flag of our state, the United Kingdom.

But since devolution and because the Union Jack is being somewhat rejected by the Scots (and the Welsh), just as God Saves The Queen is (officially because there's a quite obscure verse in it about crushing rebellious Scots), a lot of English people have decided that enough is enough and there's nothing wrong with being proud of being English.

The English flag isn't appreciated that much because it represents nationalism. England is seen as a nation of narrow-minded people where immigrants will never be considered as being truly English, whereas Britain is seen as a more tolerant society where we attempt to integrate immigrants in one big happy family.

In the national census, saying your nationality is English instead of saying British is seen as a form of nationalism/racism because immigrants can't obtain English nationality (there is no official English nationality, you just have to be recognized by the majority as being English to be English), whereas British citizenship is obtained somewhat "easily" for somewhat who wasn't born in the UK or whose parents are foreign.

So people don't like it cos it shows that people are english or support? :confused:
Cate
So people don't like it cos it shows that people are english or support? :confused:

Mainly because it has never been a very popular flag. We've always liked the Union Jack as it represents our country as a whole. You'll probably notice that people in England don't mind saying they're English and also British. Those that do are often intolerant and somewhat racist (this might explain why English nationalism is somewhat unpopular). In Scotland people emphasize so much that they're Scottish and sometimes, when it suits them, they'll say they're British but it's much rarer than in England.
English people have often been tired of having to be the only nation proud of being British (celebrating the fact we're British means we support Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland). There's that Welsh rugby chant "As long as we beat the English", which really says it's all.
With Welsh and Scottish nationalism being so "in your face", some English people have decided to do just the same thing and show them they can beat them at their own game.
Reply 15
Cate
Thats still no reason to be so terribly opposed to them as a lot of people I know are...

I'm opposed to stupidity. There's your reason :tongue:.
Reply 16
its rather amusing that the english people wave the flag of a turkish knight to support england :biggrin: :biggrin:
I think flags are a good idea. There is nothing wrong with wanting to support your country and displaying the english flag. Its all jolly good fun if you ask me. However I would say that I find it a bit disappointing that the only time we see patriotism in england is when the football is on. Lots of things are to be said about the USA but at least they are patriotic, surly something we could benefit from in England.
Cate
Why do some people seem to have such a great problem with people putting flags on their cars? It's not like the flags are harming you, and it's not like they're ugly or something.
:confused:

What really disturbs me is that the resurrection of the flag of St George in recent years is mirrored by the rise of violent Nationalism (read BNP)
teamvillage
What really disturbs me is that the resurrection of the flag of St George in recent years is mirrored by the rise of violent Nationalism (read BNP)

It is likely to be a result of fears and unrest over the influx of asylum seekers (or should I say economic migrants) into the UK. A fair proportion of the general public are against this, the inevitable reaction is more support for organisations such as the BNP. Also as a less extreme reaction, the display of the St.George flag as a means of supporting and displaying the national identity of these people.

Alternatively it could just be that the footy is on and the English flag fits rather well with the fact it’s the England team...

Latest

Trending

Trending