A question Watch

This discussion is closed.
OldMan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Cate)
Why do some people seem to have such a great problem with people putting flags on their cars? It's not like the flags are harming you, and it's not like they're ugly or something.
:confused:
To this question - as to so many others - Pencil Queen provides the perfect answer; to quote from her signature

AN IMPORTANT WARNING FROM THE DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORT
In order to assist other motorists in identifying potentially dangerous drivers, it's now compulsory for anyone with a lower than average intellect to display a warning flag, comprising of a red cross on a white background, attached to the top of at least one door of their vehicle. For drivers of exceptionally low intellect, additional flags are required
Acaila
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by SamTheMan)
With Welsh and Scottish nationalism being so "in your face", some English people have decided to do just the same thing and show them they can beat them at their own game.
Welsh nationalism in your face? I couldn't even tell you what they use as their anthem! They seem positively shy and retiring.
And I don't think Scottish nationalism is in your face either. Certainly not in the British media. I don't think I've ever seen an outbreak of flags on cars up here. In the 98 World Cup, I saw several cars with bumper stickers that you got free in papers but they were rather subtle things, especially in comparison to the heaps of flags I saw in London last weekend.
And I don't think the English would get as tired of Men of Harlech or Scotland the Brave as the rest of Britain get of Swing Low Sweet Chariots {teeth grind at the mere mention}

And I think whoever suggested the BNP connotations of the flag is probably on the right track. People have an automatic idea of the kind of person who would drive such a car, and it's usually not pretty.
olddeblasio
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Mainly because it has never been a very popular flag. We've always liked the Union Jack as it represents our country as a whole.
Well it doesn't actually represent Wales....
SamTheMan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Acaila)
Welsh nationalism in your face? I couldn't even tell you what they use as their anthem! They seem positively shy and retiring.
And I don't think Scottish nationalism is in your face either. Certainly not in the British media. I don't think I've ever seen an outbreak of flags on cars up here. In the 98 World Cup, I saw several cars with bumper stickers that you got free in papers but they were rather subtle things, especially in comparison to the heaps of flags I saw in London last weekend.
And I don't think the English would get as tired of Men of Harlech or Scotland the Brave as the rest of Britain get of Swing Low Sweet Chariots {teeth grind at the mere mention}

And I think whoever suggested the BNP connotations of the flag is probably on the right track. People have an automatic idea of the kind of person who would drive such a car, and it's usually not pretty.
Well what do you think of a song like "As long as we beat the English"? It makes me smile but it does say a lot.
Scottish nationalism has always been stronger than English nationalism. By far! This nationalism has a lot of consequences: go to the US and look at how many people celebrate their Scottish heritage and those that celebrate their English heritage...

There is a link between the BNP and the St George's flag but it's not this link that explains why it's seen as racist. It's because the St George's flag expresses nationalism that the BNP have adopted it, not the other way round.

Being English is much more exclusive than being British.

The Union Jack is the state flag and celebrates the unity of the state and the openness of this country.
The St George's flag doesn't celebrate this unity, it celebrates being English.
It's as simple as that.
SamTheMan
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by feedtheflamingo)
Well it doesn't actually represent Wales....
Wales is a principality of England actually... plus it was probably a bugger to get that flag into the Union Jack.
Bhaal85
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
All proceeds from the sales of the England flags, go towards Heskey's ticket home.
olddeblasio
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Wales is a principality of England actually... plus it was probably a bugger to get that flag into the Union Jack.
Wales was considered by UK governments to be part of England until 1955, when it proclaimed Cardiff as the capital of Wales. Since then legislation has referred to 'England and Wales' where previously only 'England' was used.

The reason it's not on the union jack is that for years English governments tried to suppress Welsh nationalism and neutralize Wales into being part of England. The fact that Wales still has a strong national identity after all those years of suppression since 1539 and the act of union suggests to me that the Welsh are as much a nation as the English. As for it being a bugger to get the flag on the Union Jack, just stick a dragon on in the middle!
SamTheMan
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by feedtheflamingo)
Wales was considered by UK governments to be part of England until 1955, when it proclaimed Cardiff as the capital of Wales. Since then legislation has referred to 'England and Wales' where previously only 'England' was used.

The reason it's not on the union jack is that for years English governments tried to suppress Welsh nationalism and neutralize Wales into being part of England. The fact that Wales still has a strong national identity after all those years of suppression since 1539 and the act of union suggests to me that the Welsh are as much a nation as the English. As for it being a bugger to get the flag on the Union Jack, just stick a dragon on in the middle!
Lol I wouldn't be against sticking a dragon on it but it might take away part of the appeal. Well I don't think you can really say that there was that much of an attempt of suppressing Welsh nationalism. It certainly wasn't as strong in other countries. Look at all those European countries that have lost their regional identities and languages...
The fact that Wales can even call itself a nation just proves the fact that the suppression wasn't that strong.

Interesting fact though. Never knew Wales was ever considered part of England.
Amb1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The whole point of displaying an England flag and singing England songs is to discriminate against other countries!!! England supporters want England to be better than everyone else. So yes, its "discrimination" in a sense but who cares anyway?!!

I have a problem with the car flags because I don't want to be driving down the motorway at 70mph and suddenly have an England flag thrown onto my windscreen in front of my face so I can't see where I'm going or what's going on!

And it annoyed me when it was D-Day and it was very hard to find an England Flag or Union Flag in support of that.
Pixelfairy #1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Amb1)
I have a problem with the car flags because I don't want to be driving down the motorway at 70mph and suddenly have an England flag thrown onto my windscreen in front of my face so I can't see where I'm going or what's going on!

And it annoyed me when it was D-Day and it was very hard to find an England Flag or Union Flag in support of that.
Those are my two reasons for hating it
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (78)
19.45%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (163)
40.65%
Nope, not that interesting (160)
39.9%

Watched Threads