Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The complexity of life Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    Between your provocative username and the fact that you joined yesterday, there's no reason for anybody on this website to take you seriously.
    joined yesterday? I don't expect you to recognise/remember me at all but
    il0vearabdick?
    ilove3rabd1ck?

so stop judging me by my username "hydeman" i have valid opinions too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racoon)
    The bible is the truth
    I always find it entertaining when people try to argue this. IT'S A BOOK WRITTEN 2000 YEARS AGO, BY LIKE 100 DIFFERENT PEOPLE. How can that be considered to represent the absolute truth? That's just a ridiculous concept if ever I heard one.

Also evolution = true

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)

1) Sufficiently genetically or physically different animals cannot interbreed to produce viable offspring. Evidence for this as as follows: mules, the offspring of horses and donkeys, are sterile, as are any other living offspring of different species, such as ligers, tiguars, and the like. Indeed, this is how species are designated as being separate - their inability to interbreed to produce viable offspring.

2) Species adapt to their environments over long periods of time. Antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria are good evidence of this, but it has also been shown to occur in larger creatures - the peppered moth, which originally had light-coloured wings, grew darker and darker in coloration over the course of the Industrial Revolution in London, as the trees it lived in and camouflaged itself in became darkened by soot.

3) Groups of organisms sometimes become separated and live separately for long periods of time. For this, imagine a group of animals that migrate to a different land mass, which then becomes isolated from their continent of origin by geological occurrences or perhaps rising sea levels. For example, Siberia and Alaska were once connected by the Bering land bridge, but that land bridge became submerged and impassable about 11,000 years ago. If a species had groups of organisms inhabiting both sides of that bridge, they would be unable to interbreed after it was submerged.
    This video is very detailed in DNA coding. It might interest you. I know you might see it as an hour and 20 minutes waste of your time, but I challenge you to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gjvuwne0RrE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)
    I always find it entertaining when people try to argue this. IT'S A BOOK WRITTEN 2000 YEARS AGO, BY LIKE 100 DIFFERENT PEOPLE. How can that be considered to represent the absolute truth? That's just a ridiculous concept if ever I heard one.

Also evolution = true

Of course its a ridiculous concept.H ow can just a book be life changing?

God is spirit. Weird ehh. How can we ever know God or understand more about the very nature of God? By reading about Him and the Bible is the best place to start.

Have you ever read the New Testament and looked at who Jesus is and how he lived his life?

Research how the bible came together, the history of it, its fascinating.

ReputationRep:
    Another thing , I watched the programme on tv tonight about the complexity of blood. Blood is such an amazing part of our living and breathing being.

Blood types are specific to species eg dogs can only donate blood to another dog.

How does evolution cope with this fact?

ReputationRep:

How does evolution cope with this fact?
    Just fine.

ReputationRep:
    How we are made and the complexity of our DNA is overwhelming when you really analyse it.

It is truly mind boggling. Trillions of pieces of information coming together to create one individual, billions of neurons etc.

If only everyone would be astonished at God's handiwork and valued life.

Job 5:9He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted.

Ecclesiastes 3:11He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end.
    The opening post started well ... I wonder myself all the time ...
    but once the Old Testament quotes came in I felt an anticlimax ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    The opening post started well ... I wonder myself all the time ...
    but once the Old Testament quotes came in I felt an anticlimax ...
    It didn't even start well, you are being too kind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pvaz6965)
    It didn't even start well, you are being too kind.
    I disagree he did ...you have to be fascinated by how complicated life is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    I disagree he did ...you have to be fascinated by how complicated life is
    I respect factual statements, he started off with a falsehood.

ReputationRep:
    I respect factual statements, he started off with a falsehood.
    There is no falsehood in this.

How we are made and the complexity of our DNA is overwhelming when you really analyse it.It is truly mind boggling.

Trillions of pieces of information coming together to create one individual, billions of neurons etc

ReputationRep:
    Just fine.

It doesn't though. There are far too many complexities for it to do so.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't though. There are far too many complexities for it to do so.
    Yeah, it really does.

You are making what is termed an appeal from personal incredulity. Just because you can't understand something or comprehend it does not mean other people i.e. professional biologists, biochemists and geneticists haven't.

ReputationRep:
    There is no falsehood in this.

How we are made and the complexity of our DNA is overwhelming when you really analyse it.It is truly mind boggling.

Trillions of pieces of information coming together to create one individual, billions of neurons etc
    It might boggle your undoubtedly uneducated mind but that is not the same thing as boggling every persons mind.

And it is not trillions of pieces of information. You are wrong in this. Quite simply you are arguing from a position of ignorance.

ReputationRep:
    It might boggle your undoubtedly uneducated mind but that is not the same thing as boggling every persons mind.

And it is not trillions of pieces of information. You are wrong in this. Quite simply you are arguing from a position of ignorance.

National Geographic 7 - 15 trillion cells minimum.

http://phenomena.nationalgeographic....-in-your-body/

Just cells, obviously there are more 'items' in the human anatomy shall we say

ReputationRep:
    National Geographic 7 - 15 trillion cells minimum.

http://phenomena.nationalgeographic....-in-your-body/

Just cells, obviously there are more 'items' in the human anatomy shall we say
    Go back and read your original post and what I specifically disagreed with. My disagreement was nothing to do with the number of cells in the body - which I might add was not mentioned. Don't be ignorant. Can't you even keep track of what you are arguing about?

ReputationRep:
    How we are made and the complexity of our DNA is overwhelming when you really analyse it.

It is truly mind boggling. Trillions of pieces of information coming together to create one individual, billions of neurons etc.

If only everyone would be astonished at God's handiwork and valued life.

Job 5:9He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted.

Ecclesiastes 3:11He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end.
    What are these biblical verses adding to the discussion?

Made everything beautiful in it's time?!

The natural world is often extremely inhospitable.

The bible drums into it's readers passive ignorance. It's a bit like when you are told that understanding something is beyond you and then not attempting it because you've convinced yourself you can't. It's a kind of brainwashing if you ask me.

ReputationRep:
    Of course its a ridiculous concept.H ow can just a book be life changing?

God is spirit. Weird ehh. How can we ever know God or understand more about the very nature of God? By reading about Him and the Bible is the best place to start.

Have you ever read the New Testament and looked at who Jesus is and how he lived his life?

Research how the bible came together, the history of it, its fascinating.
    It's difficult to get through to the religious because they are only allowed to reference their scriptures. They find 'truths' in their scriptures, and then are only allowed to back them up with other truths from....the same text. Oh and they nick a bit of science when it suits them, but for the most part it's circular referencing within scripture.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed, when you think about it's truly amazing!

We're currently studying Hamlet and a certain quote came to my mind when I read this ahaha ( which is good because it's helping me memorize) :

" what a piece of work is a man "
    " How like a God "
    "The paragon of animals"

Even Mr Shakespeare ( or rather Hamlet) had similar thoughts....ahaha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Candy55)
    Indeed, when you think about it's truly amazing!

We're currently studying Hamlet and a certain quote came to my mind when I read this ahaha ( which is good because it's helping me memorize) :

" what a piece of work is a man "
    " How like a God "
    "The paragon of animals"

Even Mr Shakespeare ( or rather Hamlet) had similar thoughts....ahaha!
    Er he wasn't complimenting humans by comparing them to God when he said that.....quite far from it

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 22, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.