Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Thoughts on splitting up Investment Banking and Consultancy? Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Should we split up the Investment Banking and Consultancy forum?
    Yes, split them up
    84.62%
    No, leave the forum as it is
    15.38%

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Hi there folks!

So we (the Career Mods) have been mulling over whether to split the Investment Banking and Consultancy into two distinct fora. One would be dubbed 'Investment Banking, Trading and Asset Management' and the other would be the 'General Management and Consultancy' forum. I feel personally that the consulting posts on here get drowned out by the IB/Trading/AM posts and so having two distinct areas for each would be more logical.

Scrolling through previous posts c.2010-2011 there was talk of something like this taking place, but it never seemed to materialise. I wanted to put a couple of feelers out into the community to get your take on this. Please respond below with feedback and via the poll.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    i personally don't think the move is necessary, don't really see any downfall to having these category of jobs under one sub-forum. that being said i don't pay too much attention to consulting threads, although i don't think they take away from eachother in terms of advice etc..
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gr8wizard10)
    i personally don't think the move is necessary, don't really see any downfall to having these category of jobs under one sub-forum. that being said i don't pay too much attention to consulting threads, although i don't think they take away from eachother in terms of advice etc..
    Do you think the two complement each other? Because I see a lot of emphasis on IB here, but never really any consulting conversations. Even the wiki that was around was solely focused on IB.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd be in favour of separating the two. It would allow for those interested in consulting to have a forum which may not be as active, but is entirely dedicated to consulting and a better source of information as a whole. I don't see the logic behind combining the two in the first place as they are two very different career paths despite applicants often applying to both.

ReputationRep:
    Having worked in both, I think it's a good idea to split them up. You'd probably see more active user growth on the Consulting side with its own dedicated forum as I've always thought the current set up is confusing and makes it difficult to find posts relating to your interest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will2348)
    Having worked in both, I think it's a good idea to split them up. You'd probably see more active user growth on the Consulting side with its own dedicated forum as I've always thought the current set up is confusing and makes it difficult to find posts relating to your interest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Kiltennel)
    I'd be in favour of separating the two. It would allow for those interested in consulting to have a forum which may not be as active, but is entirely dedicated to consulting and a better source of information as a whole. I don't see the logic behind combining the two in the first place as they are two very different career paths despite applicants often applying to both.
    Exactly my thoughts! Any feedback on the name for the separate forums?

Thanks a lot for this guys.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    'Investment Banking, Trading and Asset Management' and the other would be the 'General Management and Consultancy' sounds perfectly reasonable to me. I would consider excluding "General Management" though as it sounds too broad. Some Future Leadership Development Programmes are incredible and on-par with some consultancy firms in terms of professional develop, while some "Management" grad programmes seem to be a one way ticket to a dead end career in middle management. FDLPs would contribute strongly to the Consulting forum for those who don' make it consulting, the same can't be said for some run of the mill management trainee programme IMO.

ReputationRep:
    Would love that, having made the summer consulting thread its been one of the biggest the site has ever had, however the issue is that consulting as a market is just too narrow to have enough interest as a sub forum, imo. consulting specific threads are too infrequent and peter out quickly as it is, sadly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just leave it as 'Investment Banking' and 'Consulting' to keep it as broad as possible because there are so many different divisions and types etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will2348)
    Just leave it as 'Investment Banking' and 'Consulting' to keep it as broad as possible because there are so many different divisions and types etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ^this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I would want a separate Consultancy Section as I am planning to apply by the end of this year!

A lot of good info on Graduate schemes and general profession growth prospects would be welcome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sachinisgod)
    I would want a separate Consultancy Section as I am planning to apply by the end of this year!

A lot of good info on Graduate schemes and general profession growth prospects would be welcome
    sachin is defo not god why the change from pharmacy, have you finished the degree?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by welcometoib)
    sachin is defo not god why the change from pharmacy, have you finished the degree?
    haha he was when i made the account bit late to change my name

Im in 4th year,gonna do my pre reg and them venture into consultancy/management.

Have i spoken to you before? lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sachinisgod)
    haha he was when i made the account bit late to change my name

Im in 4th year,gonna do my pre reg and them venture into consultancy/management.

Have i spoken to you before? lol
    i agree, even though i dont support them
    na i just like seeing new peeps post in this forum!

ah sick, any reason for no more pharm? is it as bad as people say it is for graduates? have a cousin that wants to apply for it next year in september but havent actually spoken to a pharm student to ask... honest opinion please!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by welcometoib)
    i agree, even though i dont support them
    na i just like seeing new peeps post in this forum!

ah sick, any reason for no more pharm? is it as bad as people say it is for graduates? have a cousin that wants to apply for it next year in september but havent actually spoken to a pharm student to ask... honest opinion please!
    Lol nice to meet you (sir/madam - edit as required)

Its a dead end profession, the government is going to cut £180million from community pharmacy from this autumn, so wages are going to be cut. hours are going to increase and maybe 100s of pharmacies may end up shutting. I will advise your cousin to not bother applying. Will regret it. Theres no respect from others or job satisfaction as such. **** pay for the amount of education/debt taken on by students.

ReputationRep:
    Split them out, I tried to raise this maybe 5/6 years ago before I left that time around. Consultancy threads get drowned out by IB.

It certainly won't be a forum which will be as frequently posted in, but it means that relevant topics will be easier to spot without browsing through many pages of IB chat.

Forum title maybe something like "Consulting - Strategy, Technology, Change" - that's not very good, but something to indicate that consulting doesn't just mean MBB (however much MBB'ers think it does)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.