Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

what do you think about me asking my orthodontist out? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to see the GDC's opinion if the orthodontist agreed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by searust)
    hahahhaa NO, i asked the front desk guy who was messaging me, but he has no idea because i asked about everyone who works there and said i'm just a curious person. well, he seems okay, like not an idiot, he seems like he could have a sense of humor, i saw a few of his public facebook statuses, he seems chill and nice and yeah i dont know much about his personality but that's all the more reason to hang out with him. i don't seriously like him, i just feel i should explore this. i'm not attracted to many guys easily.
    Does the front desk guy hang out with the orthodontist outside of work? If so I'd say that's be a better way of hanging out with him once you've been discharged from that particular clinic. It's ultimately up to you if you decide to make a move, I just personally wouldn't!

ReputationRep:
    Are you hoping that he'll drill you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mango peeler)
    :nothing: So??????

Now gynecologist...different story....
    Idk, I see medical professionals as people who are there to fill a role. They make me better or whatever and that's it. It's none of my business if they're married or seeing someone, as a patient of theirs I wouldn't ever ask about their personal lives or seek information about it out of respect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimmy Seville)
    Are you hoping that he'll drill you?
    hahaha i knew someone would say this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alkaline.)
    OP how do you feel when his fingers are in your mouth?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    haha he's quite thoughtful i guess. when i was readjusting my hair/ neck in the seat because i wasn't comfortable he asked me like 3 times oh are you okay? is the seat okay? does your neck hurt??!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karl pilkington)
    'I don't seriously like him but he's attractive and seems nice' what does that bit mean? You either fancy him or you don't. I fancy my dental nurse but kind of don;t have the confidence to ask. I would say go for it. The only problem you have is if he turns you down it will be awkward the next time you go in.
    i mean yeah i fancy him, but i'm not OBSESSED with him and i barely see him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katarvi)
    Does the front desk guy hang out with the orthodontist outside of work? If so I'd say that's be a better way of hanging out with him once you've been discharged from that particular clinic. It's ultimately up to you if you decide to make a move, I just personally wouldn't!
    yeah i don't think i really need to see him anymore after this. they don't hang out as friends, they're just nice to each other i guess. he said he doesn't know any of them on a more personal level. i also wondered if a group hangout would be possible. i would rather take his number because the place is small and the areas are separated by curtains so anyone 5 feet away could hear. but...he will still wonder WHY i want his number when i can call the front desk. tricky!

yeah i don't think i really need to see him anymore after this. they don't hang out as friends, they're just nice to each other i guess. he said he doesn't know any of them on a more personal level. i also wondered if a group hangout would be possible. i would rather take his number because the place is small and the areas are separated by curtains so anyone 5 feet away could hear. but...he will still wonder WHY i want his number when i can call the front desk. tricky!
    As your orthodontist he is simply not allowed to have a personal relationship with you. He is bound by the same professional obligations to patients that doctors have. You will put him in a difficult position and you may have to find another orthodontist to complete your treatment.
    As a professional, when he's being nice and friendly to you its just to put you at ease, he is thinking of your teeth and not whether you would go out with him.
    Its well known that patients sometimes have feelings for their doctor or dentist and misinterpret professional courtesy for something else. Its called transference.

ReputationRep:
    Are you being cereal bruh

ReputationRep:
    he only became my orthodontist some weeks ago, i've only seen him twice. i already had braces but i was getting a retainer checkup so i went to a random new orthodontist. we are both in our twenties (im early, hes late) and i know for a fact he isn't married through research (lol). i don't know if he has a girlfriend, but i mean there's no way to find that out unless i ask him myself. i don't seriously like him but he's attractive and seems nice. he smiles at me a lot and is friendly but he probably does that to everyone. he asked me where i'm from and what i'm studying and such but otherwise not much small talk. he told me i have a nice smile but he probably tells everyone who had braces that. also there was another coworker in the room when he said that and it wasn't weird or anything. i see him in a few weeks for another checkup. should i just ask for his number? i don't want to pick him up at his place of work in case he turns me down or someone overhears. i wouldn't say i got any vibes from him but he has to be professional of course. he was more friendly and like chill in the first visit, he seemed more distant and a little more quick after that but nothing too weird. but the first visit was longer so he also got more of chance to talk then! when i was lying down in the dental chair in the second visit, i was looking down towards my feet and then looked up and into his eyes and he had been looking down at my face at that moment and quickly looked somewhere else. this may not mean anything though. i don't think it would be weird if i wanted to hang out with him, the tricky part is HOW. i don't even really need to go back there after this visit so it's not awkward or unprofessional. the front desk guy of the dental place added me on facebook and messages me a lot...so it's not like everyone there is all professional. but i would never use that guy for extra information about the orthodontist because it'd be too embarrassing and weird. i wouldn't usually think of ever doing this but he seems pretty chill and i don't like people easily. what do you think???
    So many jokes about oral.

ReputationRep:
    No don't do it. He is your dentist, you're his patient. Don't try to extend this relationship.
    He will or rather should most certainly say no. If he says yes, he will get struck off by the GDC for abusing his position.
    And trust me, the GDC will find out. They know everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nav_Mallhi)
    No don't do it. He is your dentist, you're his patient. Don't try to extend this relationship.
    He will or rather should most certainly say no. If he says yes, he will get struck off by the GDC for abusing his position.
    And trust me, the GDC will find out. They know everything.
    actually dailymail has an article out about how it is okay to date ex patients, its a new rule for dentists. i don't really have any reason to go back there. but even excluding this i'm kind of hesitant to do this

ReputationRep:
    If he said no, it's going to be embarassing.

If he said yes, he could be struck off (see the case of George Osborne's brother, Adam)

Fuggeddabouit.

ReputationRep:
    actually dailymail has an article out about how it is okay to date ex patients, its a new rule for dentists. i don't really have any reason to go back there. but even excluding this i'm kind of hesitant to do this
    Sorry, I didn't read past this point.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I didn't read past this point.
    well dont give you dumbass opinions when you not open-minded enough to look at all the sources that a contrary to your opinion.

I don't see why an orthodontist would be sacked for forming a relationshiop with one of his patients in his 20's. It just doesn't make sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greatguy149)
    well dont give you dumbass opinions when you not open-minded enough to look at all the sources that a contrary to your opinion.

I don't see why an orthodontist would be sacked for forming a relationshiop with one of his patients in his 20's. It just doesn't make sense.
    DM is a crap source. If you think looking at the DM is being 'open-minded' then you need help.

Bye.

ReputationRep:
    DM is a crap source. If you think looking at the DM is being 'open-minded' then you need help.

Bye.
    You a dumbass.

Bye dumbass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefano865)
    Go for it.

You can have a lot of fun role-playing.

Sexy orthodontist and the kinky client. :sexface:
    Lol what???? :innocent:

ReputationRep:
    he only became my orthodontist some weeks ago, i've only seen him twice. i already had braces but i was getting a retainer checkup so i went to a random new orthodontist. we are both in our twenties (im early, hes late) and i know for a fact he isn't married through research (lol). i don't know if he has a girlfriend, but i mean there's no way to find that out unless i ask him myself. i don't seriously like him but he's attractive and seems nice. he smiles at me a lot and is friendly but he probably does that to everyone. he asked me where i'm from and what i'm studying and such but otherwise not much small talk. he told me i have a nice smile but he probably tells everyone who had braces that. also there was another coworker in the room when he said that and it wasn't weird or anything. i see him in a few weeks for another checkup. should i just ask for his number? i don't want to pick him up at his place of work in case he turns me down or someone overhears. i wouldn't say i got any vibes from him but he has to be professional of course. he was more friendly and like chill in the first visit, he seemed more distant and a little more quick after that but nothing too weird. but the first visit was longer so he also got more of chance to talk then! when i was lying down in the dental chair in the second visit, i was looking down towards my feet and then looked up and into his eyes and he had been looking down at my face at that moment and quickly looked somewhere else. this may not mean anything though. i don't think it would be weird if i wanted to hang out with him, the tricky part is HOW. i don't even really need to go back there after this visit so it's not awkward or unprofessional. the front desk guy of the dental place added me on facebook and messages me a lot...so it's not like everyone there is all professional. but i would never use that guy for extra information about the orthodontist because it'd be too embarrassing and weird. i wouldn't usually think of ever doing this but he seems pretty chill and i don't like people easily. what do you think???
    I think it is the perfect way to get free braces

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 12, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.