Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Experience or money?? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am in 4th year uni with a strong aspiration to go to graduate school (applying next year). I am in the health field and am trying to get as much experience for my grad school application as possible. However, these paid research jobs are EXTREMELY competitive as every undergrad in a health/medicine/bio related program wants them. I just had an interview for a job yesterday that had 200 applicants! I do have some research volunteering under me.. but the more the better! This summer I may have the opportunity to continue helping with research at the same hospital I have been volunteering at for 2 years (1 year helping with research), however, this research volunteering is much more in depth than the research I am currently working on and in a completely different department. I will also have more opportunities with this research. However, it requires that I work at the hospital 5 days a week. Since the hospital is pretty far from where I live, I will be unable to work at a paid part-time job in the evenings. So basically I have to choose experience over money. Fortunately, I do not need to pay for uni. But I am wondering, what would you choose to do?? I hate making decisions and this is a huge one!
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pianoplaya94)

I will also have more opportunities with this research.

However, it requires that I work at the hospital 5 days a week.

Since the hospital is pretty far from where I live, I will be unable to work at a paid part-time job in the evenings.

Fortunately, I do not need to pay for uni.
    In this case - experience. In the medium to long run you don't need the money, you do need the experience.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.