Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Looking to start a career in IT/web development Watch

University Navigation

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey Im 25 and thinking about looking into changing my career to Web development. I have some questions though if anyone can help me.

Am I better off doing a course in Uni or doing courses on Html5, C+ and so on?

Also what are career opportunities like for IT and Web development, is it hard to get a job? And how well does it pay?
    Thanks
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gman90)
    Hey Im 25 and thinking about looking into changing my career to Web development. I have some questions though if anyone can help me.

Am I better off doing a course in Uni or doing courses on Html5, C+ and so on?

Also what are career opportunities like for IT and Web development, is it hard to get a job? And how well does it pay?
    Thanks
    I have been working in this field for about 4 years, so might be able to offer some help.

What commercial experience do you currently have?

ReputationRep:
    I have no experience at all but keen to start looking more into and perhaps teaching myself some of the basics first, but wondering can someone guide me as to what I need to learn and what courses I should take? Also are there many jobs going in web development and are they hard to get employed in?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I have no experience at all but keen to start looking more into and perhaps teaching myself some of the basics first, but wondering can someone guide me as to what I need to learn and what courses I should take? Also are there many jobs going in web development and are they hard to get employed in?
    If you have no commercial experience in web development, do you have any other experience? Perhaps some personal projects you worked on?

Do you have a GitHub profile or a website with a portfolio?

Have you ever dabbled in any client/server-side languages? Setup a basic web server and attempted or developed a simple web application for example?

If none of the above, what are your reasons for choosing this path? What's motivating you into this? I ask because this isn't an easy field to get into, there's a huge demand and a shortage of skills and experience.

EDIT: Can you quote me if you reply, that way I will be alerted. I don't normally respond unless someone has quoted my post. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Final Fantasy)
    If you have no commercial experience in web development, do you have any other experience? Perhaps some personal projects you worked on?

Do you have a GitHub profile or a website with a portfolio?

Have you ever dabbled in any client/server-side languages? Setup a basic web server and attempted or developed a simple web application for example?

If none of the above, what are your reasons for choosing this path? What's motivating you into this? I ask because this isn't an easy field to get into, there's a huge demand and a shortage of skills and experience.

EDIT: Can you quote me if you reply, that way I will be alerted. I don't normally respond unless someone has quoted my post. Thanks.
    No experience whatsoever, its just something I've always wanted to try and Im just looking for advice on a path to follow?

So there are a lot of jobs going then?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    No experience whatsoever, its just something I've always wanted to try and Im just looking for advice on a path to follow?

So there are a lot of jobs going then?
    There are jobs going, but I don't want to give you false hope. Based on the responses you've given, this is going to be a very difficult path.

'just something I've always wanted to try' just isn't good enough. You need to be absolutely sure about this, driven and determined. That is why I asked what motivates you.

Let's try another angle. Do you have any commercial experience in any field? What sort of work are you doing at the moment?

ReputationRep:
    learn new technologies like Devos,Android. if you have any doubts let me know

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.