Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Petition to stop the privatization of the NHS. Watch

Announcements
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    70% of NHS contracts awarded from April 2013 to April 2014 were to private companies, covering all aspects of the patient journey including diagnosis, treatment and on-going healthcare. As the Government were not elected on a manifesto of NHS privatisation this action is constitutionally non-viable.

Please if possible, share this on your twitters/facebooks

Sign Here:
    https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/112379
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I've got to ask why this is an issue provided the care is free at the point of use? I also don't want any replies about us turning into an American style system. Looking at the myriad of other healthcare systems it is not a choice between the NHS or some dystopia American system.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    I've got to ask why this is an issue provided the care is free at the point of use? I also don't want any replies about us turning into an American style system. Looking at the myriad of other healthcare systems it is not a choice between the NHS or some dystopia American system.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What advantage does private healthcare have over keeping it all in-house? All you're essentially doing is adding a middleman, which is just another layer in which corruption can fester. The idea behind privatisation is that competitiveness can help reduce cost, but for healthcare that is probably the absolute worst way of going about reducing expenditure.

ReputationRep:
    Signed with a vengeance
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    What advantage does private healthcare have over keeping it all in-house? All you're essentially doing is adding a middleman, which is just another layer in which corruption can fester. The idea behind privatisation is that competitiveness can help reduce cost, but for healthcare that is probably the absolute worst way of going about reducing expenditure.
    Puts less of a strain on a nationalised public service without enormously increasing the rate of taxation.

ReputationRep:
    Just because private companies are involved in delivery of NHS services, doesn't mean that the NHS has been privatised. It is still owned by the British taxpayers and is still free at the point of use. I can't believe you have been fooled by such leftist nonsense.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    Except based on our very limited data the proposal is simply false

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Especially when you consider that a big reason the American system is not enviable is because the prices were allowed to go out of control because they made it all tax-deductible.

This false dichotomy of either NHS or America people are reducing this to is quite bizarre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    Well I suppose the idea is that private companies tend to be careful about spunking money up the wall.

I don't think I've ever met a contractor (be in building contractors, electricians, IT etc etc) who worked on jobs for the NHS during the Labour years who didn't have lots of horror stories. Could you ever imagine for example a private company - as in one that actually has to be accountable with money - see what happened with that wasted £11 billion IT project on their watch? The NHS used to be spend like a rapper with a record deal. That's why even Labour had to look at it and ask serious questions and it's why this process started before The Tories got into power (people seem to forget this).

I'm not saying let's completely privatise it all blah blah but let's not pretend there's no argument for involving privatisation, especially when you consider that something very badly had to be done considering the wastefulness of how it used to be. I'm sure if people had serious and viable proposals to heavily reduce the spending then we'd be all ears. But the "don't touch the NHS" crowd never do. They never have any ideas for it. Most of them shrieked in anger at even the suggestion of stopping health tourism for goodness sake.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I shan't be signing the petition.

1) Firms bidding for contracts is not proper privatization and provided the government does not mind being sued it can null the contracts at any time. Also even if 70% of contracts in the past year have been tendered to the private sector, that's still not a large proportion of all NHS contracts.

2) Most European healthcare systems (social insurance) actually have superior health outcomes to the UK. While i don't support such a transition and don't expect it either, it's something that people rarely bear in mind.

ReputationRep:
    please, go away with your isolationist views

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.