The Student Room Group

fair trade vs aid

in my geography class we are learning about how the development gap and potential ways to close it in Ghana. I have to write an SA on fair trade vs aid. this would be easy if I could pick a side but I have been assigned to aid so please can someone give me some ideas for my argument. I am completely stuck.
Reply 1
Original post by helenaglasgow
I have to write an SA on fair trade vs aid.

Did you just shorten "Essay" to "SA"? I've never seen that before. Well done you. I learn something new every day.
Original post by Davalla
Did you just shorten "Essay" to "SA"? I've never seen that before. Well done you. I learn something new every day.

aha well yes i am quite a lazy typer:tongue:
Reply 3
Sp your essay is on how aid affects the development gap? Im assuming youll want to look into the IMF and their SAPs which tend tl have a negative impact.
There aren't many effective ways of closing the development gap besides foreign investment and a growth in enterprise, as such seen in UAE, India and China, etc. Foreign aid and fair trade are utterly insignificant and can have detrimental effects. Ghana is an economically worthless country because, at the moment, it has nothing to offer.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Manexopi
Sp your essay is on how aid affects the development gap? Im assuming youll want to look into the IMF and their SAPs which tend tl have a negative impact.

i have to write why aid is better than fair trade (eventhough i dont think it is) for closing the development gap. thankyou btw
Reply 6
Original post by helenaglasgow
i have to write why aid is better than fair trade (eventhough i dont think it is) for closing the development gap. thankyou btw

Oh right I see. Tbh theyre both not that great. Free trade can be detrimental to smaller farmers and affect their livelihoods e.g caribbean banana farmers so maybe you cold use that as an argument.
Aid is meant to be beneficial as it can be invested in to infrastructure and services etc which would attract FDI in the long run and youll end up with a cycle of prosperity of sorts. However most of the time, coubtries cant pay it back and end up in debt and interest rates continue going up.
Original post by Manexopi
Oh right I see. Tbh theyre both not that great. Free trade can be detrimental to smaller farmers and affect their livelihoods e.g caribbean banana farmers so maybe you cold use that as an argument.
Aid is meant to be beneficial as it can be invested in to infrastructure and services etc which would attract FDI in the long run and youll end up with a cycle of prosperity of sorts. However most of the time, coubtries cant pay it back and end up in debt and interest rates continue going up.

thankyou so much this helped alot

Quick Reply

Latest