Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm only in my first year studying English Lit. For the first semester I was scrapping pass marks, and although I spoke to my tutor and had extra help, my marks keep going down. I received my third failed essay today and I'm sat here in tears. I don't know why I can't do it. I go to all of the classes, contribute well in seminars, I'm doing all the extra reading etc. I spent two weeks exclusively working on this essay because I was convinced that if I really focused on it and only it, I would do better. But I have done worse. I spoke to my tutor again and she said that there's nothing else she can really do for me, and just to keep reading through the comments she wrote on my essay. I just can't seem to do it. I've tried signing up for the writing classes my uni offers, but they won't give me a place because I passed the original writing ability test with flying colours and I don't have a condition like dyslexia etc. I'm really struggling, and I'm worried that I'm going to have to drop out because I can't really afford to repeat a year.

It's taking away my love for reading. I'm really starting to hate it, and myself. Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    I definitely misinterpreted your title.

ReputationRep:
    Might want to change the title of this before the police knock on your door!

ReputationRep:
    So ironic you are failing english literature and you show a great use of words to express yourself in the title of this thread.

ReputationRep:
    smh religion of peace at it again...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Demon King)
    I'm only in my first year studying English Lit. For the first semester I was scrapping pass marks, and although I spoke to my tutor and had extra help, my marks keep going down. I received my third failed essay today and I'm sat here in tears. I don't know why I can't do it. I go to all of the classes, contribute well in seminars, I'm doing all the extra reading etc. I spent two weeks exclusively working on this essay because I was convinced that if I really focused on it and only it, I would do better. But I have done worse. I spoke to my tutor again and she said that there's nothing else she can really do for me, and just to keep reading through the comments she wrote on my essay. I just can't seem to do it. I've tried signing up for the writing classes my uni offers, but they won't give me a place because I passed the original writing ability test with flying colours and I don't have a condition like dyslexia etc. I'm really struggling, and I'm worried that I'm going to have to drop out because I can't really afford to repeat a year.

It's taking away my love for reading. I'm really starting to hate it, and myself. Any advice?
    Is it the same comments coming up again and again? If so maybe you need to work a bit more on taking the criticism on board, whatever your tutors tell you is the problem , try to fix it without questioning it and just go with it to see if that makes a difference, you could always ask someone in a higher year to tutor you? Lots of students do this for extra money and the rates aren't usually bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by preetg97)
    I definitely misinterpreted your title.
    (Original post by Protagoras)
    Might want to change the title of this before the police knock on your door!
    (Original post by Protagoras)
    So ironic you are failing english literature and you show a great use of words to express yourself in the title of this thread.
    (Original post by Dancing Samurai)
    smh religion of peace at it again...
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    was ready for some confrontation haha

ReputationRep:

In my experience really focussing on an essay always ends in tears. The more I worry about what I'm doing wrong, the more I do it wrong. What kind of essay questions have you had? And what texts have you been studying? You can PM me if you like - I'd be happy to look at things and see if I can give some advice. Sometimes it helps to have another student look at your work. Tutors can be wonderful but they're sometimes a bit out of touch when it comes to remembering their time as a student and trying to explain how to change things.

You would be entitled to student finance for another three years, though, if you did decide that this degree wasn't for you. You're allowed one false start. I also decided to move away from literature because it killed my love for reading and made me really depressed (so many tragedies).
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:

As others have said, it does not appear that you are failing through a lack of application and hard work.

It sounds like you have not completely grasped the comments your tutor has made on the reasons why you have failed for the third time. Hence you are not correcting the mistakes and focussing on the wrong things instead.

The first year of uni' is tough because students need to let go of the way they were taught at A-level and you don't get the hand-holding and support as one expects at school. It's all about standing on your own two feet harsh though that may sound.

Suffice to say, you will not be the only one in that boat.

Can you get hold of examples of essays that your tutor holds up as excellent and find out the reasons why it's marked like that?

Also write what you feel, put emotion into your work as well as objectivity. Some times it requires taking a calculated risk, but then these are the reasons why people gain a 1st.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.