Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should students HAVE to pay back university loans? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    there shouldnt be fees in the first place, it is damaging to the poor. education is a long-term investment; the better educated a population, the better a country will do - that is an undeniable fact.

reducing the availability of education to poor people creates a lot of low-wage unskilled workers, which is perfect for extending the gap between the rich and poor.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangala)
    there shouldnt be fees in the first place, it is damaging to the poor. education is a long-term investment; the better educated a population, the better a country will do - that is an undeniable fact.

reducing the availability of education to poor people creates a lot of low-wage unskilled workers, which is perfect for extending the gap between the rich and poor.
    Interesting theory that helping the poor get a better education is damaging to them, can they not handle it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Let me get this straight.

Someone who graduates and is struggling to find a job should pay back their student loan even though the degree they have didn't help them get a job? Don't you see how ridiculous that sounds?

Be logical. If you find a good job and advance in your field, it's logical you'll earn more then 21.000. However, if you struggle to find a job, the university was not worth the money, and thus it's logical not to pay anything until you find a job worth someone of your educational degree. They system is perfect as it is. University needs to provide you with a returned value if is to hold any monetary value. There's this little thing called opportunity cost. Basically, every time you're doing something, you could be doing something else, or every time you're doing something, you're doing that something INSTEAD of doing something else. If you go to university and invest a lot of your time, effort and money into it, that time and effort should yield you a job that's well paid. If it doesn't, then you wasted your opportunity cost and you shouldn't be expected to pay anything because your degree didn't provide you with the necessary expected utility. Simple really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Interesting theory that helping the poor get a better education is damaging to them, can they not handle it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    how does putting poor people in £50k debt help them get a better education?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:

Entrance rates are increasing among the poorest 1/5th of the English population despite the higher fees, less so in Scotland were they have no fees.

I don't see any "damage"...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackEDeakin)
    Degrees arent useless just because they dont land you a job. I also think you don't understand that it isn't wasting tax payers money at all.

TSRFT8, I plan to study Politics, Philosophy and Religion at UOB I would like to invest that knowledge into government scrutiny, campaigning for The Green Party and focusing on campaign strategy and support the feminst and environmental movements.

Now unless I am successful in a parliamentary election, it is very unlikely I would ever gain enough money to pay it back but I am contributing to society.

Education is a right, you're not a terrorist so don't claim it is a privilege. My apologies for my previous post where I too claimed it was, it was late and I meant the opposite! I struggle to proof read from my phone.
    Feminism and the Green Party.....

Yep that's a waste

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSRFT8)
    Career goals.... How exactly are you contributing to society apart from spreading ******** movements, and wasting tax payers money? Please go ahead and explain
    Lol ok

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Entrance rates are increasing among the poorest 1/5th of the English population despite the higher fees, less so in Scotland were they have no fees.

I don't see any "damage"...

although i'm 100% sure that graph is made with misleading tory figures (the same figures that say they have reduced poverty) lets see how that graph looks after a year of no grants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    ...Or just lower tuition fees so ordinary people will actually be capable of paying back their loans? It is incredibly sad that so many people think the only value of university is to earn more money.
    Agreed, I think students should still have to contribute partly to understand the value of their education, but it should not be the deciding factor as it is ending up now, where the more money you have, the more likely you are to go to university...

ReputationRep:
    although i'm 100% sure that graph is made with misleading tory figures (the same figures that say they have reduced poverty) lets see how that graph looks after a year of no grants.
    Probably the same

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes students have to pay back their loans. Its called a 'loan' for a reason. In your lifetime you earn 500,000 more than those without a degree so £27,000 is nothing. If you can't afford it, then tough because if you get some stupid degree like an art or english degree, there is no one to blame but you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    Probably the same

Posted from TSR Mobile
    not at all. i can only afford to go to uni if i get the £2k sholarship for getting AAB or above because they have cut the low income grant.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    how does putting poor people in £50k debt help them get a better education?
    Because it allows them to get it in the first place perhaps?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Because it allows them to get it in the first place perhaps?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    how is debt a necessity for education?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    how is debt a necessity for education?
    Because it isn't free, maybe?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Because it isn't free, maybe?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    that's exactly my point you ****ing window licker, make it free

ReputationRep:
    Students needs to stop expecting everything handed to them. They need to grow up.

ReputationRep:
    In developing countries, you either have enough money to afford university, or you stay uneducated. Government does ****.

Just thought I'd put this here. You can all hate on me saying it's their own fault, yadda yadda, but, it's true.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    To be fair that chart was from The Spectator.
    So here's UCAS's own chart - same result:
    https://www.ucas.com/sites/default/f...tion-rates.pdf

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-02-27 at 15.35.24.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  160.0 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsenal96)
    Students needs to stop expecting everything handed to them. They need to grow up.
    Life isn't as easy as it was for previous generations.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.