Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

So here's the deal:

I study : Biology, Chemistry, Physics and English Literature
    For my GCSE's I got 6A*s & 4A's
    For my AS Mocks I Got : Biology-B, Chemistry-B, Physics-B and English -B/C (I didn't get a combined grade for it)
    I'm a part of the medical society and I'm a reading partner to a year 7
    I'm a volunteer at a sexual health clinic, I'm sorting out a volunteering role at a care home and I'm looking to find a hospital work experience.

But I'm starting to wonder if I'm cut out for medicine, especially when I think that there are going to be people applying with 11A*'s and I just can't compete with that & I'm really scared of applying to 4 uni's and not getting into any, I really want it but I'm starting to wonder if it's realistic and maybe I might be better off going after nursing or pharmacy because they're less competitive.

And if there is still a chance, what uni's would I have the highest likelihood of getting into ?
    I was thinking the London ones (because I live in London) but I think, that might be a little too ambitious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by #JOSH45#)
    Hey,

So here's the deal:

For my AS Mocks I Got : Biology-B, Chemistry-B, Physics-B and English -B/C (I didn't get a combined grade for it)
    I'm a volunteer at a sexual health clinic, I'm sorting out a volunteering role at a care home and I'm looking to find a hospital work experience.

But I'm starting to wonder if I'm cut out for medicine, especially when I think that there are going to be people applying with 11A*'s and I just can't compete with that & I'm really scared of applying to 4 uni's and not getting into any, I really want it but I'm starting to wonder if it's realistic and maybe I might be better off going after nursing or pharmacy because they're less competitive.

And if there is still a chance, what uni's would I have the highest likelihood of getting into ?
    I was thinking the London ones (because I live in London) but I think, that might be a little too ambitious.
    You need to get your act together for your proper ASs (if you're taking them) and A2s, because you HAVE to get AAA in the end or it's pretty much game over. But those GCSEs are fine for most places. Don't just stick to London when you're looking at universities, there are plenty of other amazing opportunities all around the country and courses which might be better suited to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by #JOSH45#)
    Hey,

So here's the deal:

I'm not a medical student for applicant but i do know that where there's a will there's a way and if you have your heart set on studying medicine you should do everything in your power to attain that goal, don't let assumptions like that get you down, if you really want it, you can get it good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Bit late, the lent period has already started.

Just kidding,
    I don't think you should give up because there are lots of Unis out there with lower required grades and don't let the TSR standards put you off.
    However, the medicine course is very rigorous in most unis but if you have passion for the subject you could certainly do it I believe.

I know of a girl who got ABBB in Scottish higher which is sometimes seen easier than A-level and she got an offer from Oxford, Nevermind she failed the test though.
    Also, I know she wasn't chosen because of school standards or being poor or whatever because she went to my school which has a very high success rate and one of the best in the country.

ReputationRep:
    Your GCSEs are wonderful, I would be very happy to get those and you should be proud of how hard you worked to get to where you are now. You grades are fine but you need to work to get them up one grade to meet requirements for medicine. Maybe you should apply to other universities and different courses that you are also interested in.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that, I'll definitely do some more research into other uni's.

ReputationRep:
    I got Es in every single one of my physics mocks, and got an A in the end. You have loads of time to improve before the real thing. You'll be fine

If you want to be a doctor, never give up. If it's your dream, work your little bum off and get those A's for your A-levels, and you'll get in. It might not be next year, or the year after, but if it's your dream, in the words of Winston Churchill: Never give in, Never give in, never never never.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.