Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I am in my last year of a mathematics degree and I have applied to medical statistics at the places above. I have an offer from ucl and an interview with lshtm.

I was wondering if anyone else had applied for 2016/17 entry?
    Also if anyone has taken the course would you be able to explain what it's like day-to-day and the difficulty of the course content? I have covered a lot of statistics during my undergrad and was interested in the level of statistics that I would be going on to learn.

Any help would be great.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hey there,

I'm afraid I can't give any advice but I'm currently also looking at MScs in Medical Statistics for 2016/17 entry, but probably as a part time (and long distance) student to complete alongside my current job if I can get a deal my employer and I are both happy with.

Im currently working as a programmer in clinical trials (from a life science/clinical background) and looking to move further into stats and hopefully become a proper statistician.

In general I reckon you'd find the stats /maths part of the course much easier than I would, but I'd be more used to the clinical aspect, context and the scientific reading/writing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Floob)

Im currently working as a programmer in clinical trials (from a life science/clinical background) and looking to move further into stats and hopefully become a proper statistician.
    Hi there,
    Thanks for the response What made you decide to become more involved in statistics if you don't mind my asking? Also what does being a programmer in clinical trials consist of?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chibi_oc)
    Hi there,
    Thanks for the response What made you decide to become more involved in statistics if you don't mind my asking? Also what does being a programmer in clinical trials consist of?
    I did a bit of stats - applied statistics using routine health data
    and - clinical trials principles and methods

in my last MSc course which together with my masters project made me decide that I liked research, but what I enjoyed most was unpicking those results after the studies were done. Luckily I used to be pretty good at maths, was actually ok at the stats courses and enjoy working through problems logically.
    So I joined a CRO (Contract Research Organisation - they run clinical trials on behalf of pharma/biotech companies) and have been working as an intern/programmer in the stats department, but want to move into a statistician role eventually, which would require a Masters in statistics or medical statistics.

Basically we use SAS (a programming language/package kind of like R) to create all the datasets, analysis and listings tables and figures for a study.

As a department we're involved with some aspects of study design, reviewing the protocol for a study and making sure that all the necessary data will be captured in the case report forms as patients move through the study. We create the analysis plan (where some stats actually comes in), analysis datasets with derived variables and many dummy tables and listings to show what the output is going to look like and then get the whole lot programmed towards the end of a study or on an ongoing basis for safety review (like listing the adverse events and severities or liver function test lab data).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.