The Student Room Group

Poisson Distribution

So, I've had some homework on S1 for poisson distribution but I don't get this one question.
It tells me to find, in terms of e, the probabilities of values 10, 11, 12 etc. I've been given the answers but I'm not entirely sure how i should get to them. Would anyone be able to help?
Original post by Saira_98
So, I've had some homework on S1 for poisson distribution but I don't get this one question.
It tells me to find, in terms of e, the probabilities of values 10, 11, 12 etc. I've been given the answers but I'm not entirely sure how i should get to them. Would anyone be able to help?

For a Poisson distribution X with rate (lambda) and for any value x, what is P(X=x)?

In other words, if X ~ Po(lambda), then P(X=x) = ..

It should be in your book somewhere.
Reply 2
Original post by SeanFM
For a Poisson distribution X with rate (lambda) and for any value x, what is P(X=x)?

In other words, if X ~ Po(lambda), then P(X=x) = ..

It should be in your book somewhere.

I get that part, but I get to say "P(X=10) = E^-4 * 4^10/10! but I'm not sure how I'd just express this in terms of e when the answer is E^-4
I get that part, but I get to say "P(X=10) = E^-4 * 4^10/10! but I'm not sure how I'd just express this in terms of e when the answer is E^-4

Then something is missing or that answer is incorrect. :redface: :iiam:
Reply 4

"in terms of e" can be a constant number multiplies by e raised to some power.
Reply 5

Well, do you know what the formula for P(X = x)?
Reply 6
The question is basically:
Each month a newsagent receives 15 copies of a monthly magazine, of which 10 have been ordered by customers. The monthly demand for the remaining five copies may be modelled by a Poisson distribution with a mean 4. Let X demote the number of copies that will be sold in a month.
Find, in terms of e, the probabilities that X will take the values 10, 11, 13, 14 and 15. Hence calculate the expected value of X.

Quick Reply

Latest