Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What are your favourite (and relatively obscure) words? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal World)
    You have no idea what my background is. How can you say I'm from a position of privilege because I was clever enough to get into a grammar school?
    Dear, the position of privilege is the grammar school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lawyer12345)
    Spoken from a position of privilege.

Why would I be 'butthurt'? I am at the best university in the country and I, unlike your ilk, actually earned my place here.
    You DESPISE anyone who went to a grammar or private school. :facepalm:

Hopefully at Oxford/Cambridge you only hang around with state school kids then.

ReputationRep:

It's just butthurt to say you despise anyone from that educational background. If you're clever and poor and there was a good grammar near where you live you would have gone there. Stop acting so superior because you believe you've strived against adversity and are better than everyone else because of it.

ReputationRep:
    Nomenclature. I also love the C word (if only we could swear on here).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    plethora
    conundrum
    soliloquy

ReputationRep:
    I am not entirely sure how you can talk, with a straight face, about positions of privilege whilst studying at Cambridge. If EW (apt name) got into a grammar off her intellectual skills, this is seemingly similar to your getting into Cambridge off the back of your own intellectual skills, no? Perhaps arguable yours is a little more egregious and significant than hers.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    It's just butthurt to say you despise anyone from that educational background. If you're clever and poor and there was a good grammar near where you live you would have gone there. Stop acting so superior because you believe you've strived against adversity and are better than everyone else because of it.
    I was clever but didn't get in to the local grammar school because of a minor physical disability....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    I was clever but didn't get in to the local grammar school because of a minor physical disability....

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But how were the tests that test your academic ability affected by your physical disability? I'm not saying they weren't I'm just interested. Also the grammar school should have made allowances in this instance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum_law)
    I am not entirely sure how you can talk, with a straight face, about positions of privilege whilst studying at Cambridge. If EW (apt name) got into a grammar off her intellectual skills, this is seemingly similar to your getting into Cambridge off the back of your own intellectual skills, no? Perhaps arguable yours is a little more egregious and significant than hers.
    He's just getting his 'privilege' a tad later in life.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    But how were the tests that test your academic ability affected by your physical disability? I'm not saying they weren't I'm just interested. Also the grammar school should have made allowances in this instance.
    Due to my dyspraxia I'm slower than everyone else at writing - usually I get a scribe and 50% extra time. Their attitude was to only giver me 25% and no scribe, then if I passed they'd go about accommodating it. Suffice to say I couldn't physically complete the test in the time required.

I ended up going to a school that shared buses with them and was regularly outsmarting the grammar kids. But because the school I ended up at was crap, I only got a distinctively average set of grades

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Due to my dyspraxia I'm slower than everyone else at writing - usually I get a scribe and 50% extra time. Their attitude was to only giver me 25% and no scribe, then if I passed they'd go about accommodating it. Suffice to say I couldn't physically complete the test in the time required.

I ended up going to a school that shared buses with them and was regularly outsmarting the grammar kids. But because the school I ended up at was crap, I only got a distinctively average set of grades

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's harsh. And I'm sorry that the particular grammar school in question were so uncompromising. :hugs: I think dyslexia and dyspraxia need way more awareness. They should also have listened to what you usually need for the situation rather than imposing their arbitrary condition.

If you were outsmarting them there is no reason why your grades couldn't have been better than average? Unless in your exams they didn't account for the dyspraxia appropriately again?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    That's harsh. And I'm sorry that the particular grammar school in question were so uncompromising. :hugs: I think dyslexia and dyspraxia need way more awareness. They should also have listened to what you usually need for the situation rather than imposing their arbitrary condition.

If you were outsmarting them there is no reason why your grades couldn't have been better than average? Unless in your exams they didn't account for the dyspraxia appropriately again?
    True

No, it was more a case of the school I ended up at being too relaxed - I never really had to work. If I'd gone to the grammar I would've developed a better attitude to work, rather than getting to college and having to learn how to learn. Plus I was higher than the average for that school, just the school was significantly lower.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skratch My Itch)
    I also love the C word (if only we could swear on here).
    You can PM me as I'm not shy and have no yellow cards or whatnot.

Edit: that was quick. He likes ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    You can PM me as I'm not shy and have no yellow cards or whatnot.
    :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    True

No, it was more a case of the school I ended up at being too relaxed - I never really had to work. If I'd gone to the grammar I would've developed a better attitude to work, rather than getting to college and having to learn how to learn. Plus I was higher than the average for that school, just the school was significantly lower.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah that makes sense. It's definitely an environment thing. At my grammar it was very intense and fast paced so it was go hard or go home. But you still do all the work yourself but I guess the pressure comes sooner as well as the pressure to 'keep up'. Whereas you could float along and still be above average at the comp.

Are you going to uni?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that makes sense. It's definitely an environment thing. At my grammar it was very intense and fast paced so it was go hard or go home. But you still do all the work yourself but I guess the pressure comes sooner as well as the pressure to 'keep up'. Whereas you could float along and still be above average at the comp.

Are you going to uni?
    Yeah, a lot of people seem baffled when I say that

Yeah, probably Hull or Lincoln

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you're clever and poor and there was a good grammar near where you live you would have gone there.
    Actually, I turned down a scholarship at my local private school in order to attend my local state comp - with a 30% GCSE pass rate.

You tried.

ReputationRep:
    For me, it's definitely 'plethora' or 'tumultuous'

ReputationRep:
    Actually, I turned down a scholarship at my local private school in order to attend my local state comp - with a 30% GCSE pass rate.

You tried.
    That doesn't invalidate what I said.

ReputationRep:
    That doesn't invalidate what I said.
    Yes it does. If I wouldn't have gone to a private school that offered me a 50% scholarship then I wouldn't have gone to a grammar school.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.