Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I pick maths at A-Level? Please Help! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am contemplating taking maths at A-Level as I really enjoy it and do well, im on track for an A/A* in my GCSE. The one thing I am worried about is whether I will find it too hard. So anyone doing A-Level maths how did you find the leap from GCSE to A-Level maths? Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie233567)
    I am contemplating taking maths at A-Level as I really enjoy it and do well, im on track for an A/A* in my GCSE. The one thing I am worried about is whether I will find it too hard. So anyone doing A-Level maths how did you find the leap from GCSE to A-Level maths? Thank you!
    I'm in a similar situation, but ask your teacher for something A-Level work or a textbook to look at; my teacher told me to have a look at MyMaths (which my school uses to test people's maths) and I'm feeling more confident about it. From what I am aware, the first Core builds and solidifies GCSE algebra manipulation, with a few new topics, such as differentiation and integration: though my school does Edexcel so it may be different for each exam board. The best thing to do is find someone who does it at A-Level, look at some past papers or ask your teacher for some tasters.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't do any revision at all at GCSE so 'only' got an A. There really wasn't a noticeable jump from GCSE to AS and I managed to get an A at AS without too much effort. (I did all classwork and homework but no extra work other than a shed load of past papers in the week leading to the exam).

A2 requires more work and effort but if you put the work in, you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    No unless it is a requirement for your future degree.

ReputationRep:
    I found it difficult at first because i hadn't done maths for a year but i think that was the only reason why. If youre good at GCSE then its not much of a jump in terms of difficulty, just a few new things that all. I ended up getting an A at AS and im not great at maths. Only a few formulas and methods to memorise + all the trig stuff which is the most dificult but really its like algebra with slightly different rules.
    Its also very useful and required for a lot of uni courses. If you're good at GCSE maths and most importantly enjoy it then go for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aear)
    I'm in a similar situation, but ask your teacher for something A-Level work or a textbook to look at; my teacher told me to have a look at MyMaths (which my school uses to test people's maths) and I'm feeling more confident about it. From what I am aware, the first Core builds and solidifies GCSE algebra manipulation, with a few new topics, such as differentiation and integration: though my school does Edexcel so it may be different for each exam board. The best thing to do is find someone who does it at A-Level, look at some past papers or ask your teacher for some tasters.
    Unfortunately my school dose not have mymaths, but I will ask my teacher for some sample A-level work and hopefully that will give me a better idea! Thank you very much!!

ReputationRep:
    If you enjoy it and you are good at it then yes. Its just as difficult as any A Level subject but with practice you will get the hang of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shumaya)
    I didn't do any revision at all at GCSE so 'only' got an A. There really wasn't a noticeable jump from GCSE to AS and I managed to get an A at AS without too much effort. (I did all classwork and homework but no extra work other than a shed load of past papers in the week leading to the exam).

A2 requires more work and effort but if you put the work in, you'll be fine.
    Thank you very much That was my main concern that it would be totally different from GCSE, but I do enjoy it and I am welling to put the effort in. Well done for getting an A!!

ReputationRep:
    Are you doing further maths??

I absolutely love maths alevel. I enjoy it so much and i am sure you will to. If you find things hard there are literally sooo many resources online that can help. There are videos, podcasts, past papers etc. This maths syllabus has been out since 2008 so don't worry about finding things hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NEZZAR)
    I found it difficult at first because i hadn't done maths for a year but i think that was the only reason why. If youre good at GCSE then its not much of a jump in terms of difficulty, just a few new things that all. I ended up getting an A at AS and im not great at maths. Only a few formulas and methods to memorise + all the trig stuff which is the most dificult but really its like algebra with slightly different rules.
    Its also very useful and required for a lot of uni courses. If you're good at GCSE maths and most importantly enjoy it then go for it
    Well done for getting an A!! This has helped me a lot, I just wanted to know get an idea from someone who is doing it Thank you very much!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by (URIAH))
    Are you doing further maths??

I absolutely love maths alevel. I enjoy it so much and i am sure you will to. If you find things hard there are literally sooo many resources online that can help. There are videos, podcasts, past papers etc. This maths syllabus has been out since 2008 so don't worry about finding things hard.
    Further maths just seemed like too much maths haha. Do you take it? i haven't really thought about further maths that much, don't think im cleaver enough for it
    Thank you so much, this has really helped, you have boost my confidence up. I have finally met someone else that enjoys maths haha! thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie233567)
    Further maths just seemed like too much maths haha. Do you take it? i haven't really thought about further maths that much, don't think im cleaver enough for it
    Thank you so much, this has really helped, you have boost my confidence up. I have finally met someone else that enjoys maths haha! thank you
    i took further maths for gcse which helped for a level maths since we covered some stuff. I might take further maths a level in year 13 for one year

ReputationRep:
    Any form of Maths at A-Level is very useful when it comes to course and job prospects in the future. If you enjoy doing Maths, definitely take it for A-Level!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SubZero~)
    Any form of Maths at A-Level is very useful when it comes to course and job prospects in the future. If you enjoy doing Maths, definitely take it for A-Level!
    Thank you very much!! after to comments from tonight I think I might take it!

People stress too much about subjects being hard when deciding them. What you need to appreciate is that you will need to be working hard regardless. You're good at it, it interests you and it is the most respected A level.
    I scraped an A* at GCSE and I'm getting better percentages in my tests than what I was getting at GCSE.
    Definitely do it, and hopefully you do well.

ReputationRep:
    Only pick Maths A level if you know you will get an A at GCSE it maths, a lot of people I know picked maths and they got Bs at GCSEs and they failed it at A level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.