The Student Room Group

wifi issues

hey

i live in private student accom. and my wifi is AWFUL... the signal goes really low quite often and I can't do anything on my laptop during these times.The staff won't do anything, well they say they are looking into it but they are generally useless with everything. Is there anything I can do to boost my wifi signal?

I bought an ethernet cable but I don't have anywhere to plug it into the wall so that was a bit daft.... I saw "wifi booster" devices on the internet. Do they work? what can I do? It's really interfering with what I'm doing in my flat.... even just when i want to watch netflix it's irritating let alone trying to do an essay :angry:
You could try buying a Wi-Fi repeater or something like that. This may create a stronger signal for you but that would mean having to buy it. Whether the staff will let you use it or not is a completely different matter however. Not really sure. :s-smilie:

I'll give the definitions between two things that could help:

Wi-Fi Repeater - a device used to extend the network coverage/area that the Wi-Fi signal travels through/around.

Wi-Fi Booster - amplifies the signal of the Wi-Fi supposedly increasing the signal strength.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by SubZero~
You could try buying a Wi-Fi repeater or something like that. This may create a stronger signal for you but that would mean having to buy it. Whether the staff will let you use it or not is a completely different matter however. Not really sure. :s-smilie:

I'll give the definitions between two things that could help:

Wi-Fi Repeater - a device used to extend the network coverage/area that the Wi-Fi signal travels through/around.

Wi-Fi Booster - amplifies the signal of the Wi-Fi supposedly increasing the signal strength.

thanks for the reply. Tbh I don't care whether I am "allowed" to use things - how would they find out? Wouldn't I want a booster then if I want to increase my wifi? I don't really know what the problem with my wifi is or why it keeps doing this... I will buy anything if it means having decent internet again...
Original post by Jenx301
thanks for the reply. Tbh I don't care whether I am "allowed" to use things - how would they find out? Wouldn't I want a booster then if I want to increase my wifi? I don't really know what the problem with my wifi is or why it keeps doing this... I will buy anything if it means having decent internet again...

Haha I gotcha. Well I would definitely do some research first on Google or some sort of search engine. Look at the differences between them, how you would set it up, etc... All the fundamental things to make sure that you can make use of the device you buy. Look for the best ones but stick to a budget; don't pay more than you have to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending