Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's the dumbest, most outrageous, most absurd thing your lab partner has done? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My class was given the *difficult* task of following some instructions to make samples of different azo dyes. The teacher had to explain it several times before everyone bar myself and one other got what to do. Next most of them forgot to dilute the potassium nitrite solution and then, instead of using ice from the ice bath (which was conveniently located in the middle of the lab and not obstructed from anyone's vision) to cool the mixture they decided to skip that step and do the reaction at room temperature. The result was about 30 test tubes overflowing with nitrogen dioxide gas.

Fortunately they had the good sense to take it to the fume cupboard but that's about as far as common sense got. The first few people there had continued onto the next steps of the practical and were adding phenylamine/beta napthol-potassium hydroxide solutions/phenol-potassium-hydroxide solutions/whatever to their fuming test tubes (without turning on the fume extractor or pulling the screen down, they even had their heads stuck right inside the fume cupboard - directly over their test tubes) while the others just stood behind them waiting in line with their test tube's contents still producing lots of nitrogen dioxide. I even spotted a few people sniffing it!

Obviously someone had to intervene before everyone gassed each other so I went over there to prevent disaster. At this point, as you can imagine, I was absolutely livid about their display of unimaginable stupidity. So when I went over there I may have yelled a bit. I doubt it got the message of "toxic gas = bad, put in fume cupboard and turn on = good" across to them but at the very least it got them to put the fume extractor on and put the test tubes in, if only to shut me up.

I couldn't (and still can't) understand why anyone would act in such a moronic way. When I asked them about it they said "it would've been so rude to push past everyone, you just don't do that kind of thing." I tried explaining to them that it would've been far worse to give everyone lung damage (yes, there was that much gas being produced, thank god the windows were open), but apparently social etiquette > people's health!

I suppose the whole thing would have been negligibly excusable if they didn't know about the gas's toxicity, but they'd been warned beforehand that if they goofed up a highly toxic brown gas would be produced and that if this happened they must immediately put their test tubes in a rack in the fume cupboard. It did at least give myself and that one other guy with common sense something good to laugh about.

The teacher got called away because a fight had broken out in the corridor outside, unfortunately that had to be the moment when this all started. Now that I think about it, we probably should've evacuated the classroom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andythepiano007)
    Strictly irrelevent, since this was at primary school araound '77 or '78. We had a supply teacher who should have retired centuries previously who told us that in order to prepare us for secondary school, where there will be lots of nasty chemicals, he wanted us to sniff them so that we would recognise them when we came across them again, know they were dangerous and avoid them.

What could possibly go wrong!

He had us line up and gently waft chloroform, ether and other such chemicals up our noses. Of course, we were going to inhale as deeply as we could. What happened next was a bit vague, but I was told afterwards that a whole load of parents were phoned up and asked to ferry their children and their friends home in cars (getting us out of the classroom and down the stairs must have been fun), and also, we never saw that teacher again.
    ...the 70s were crazy :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    I'm usually the one doing the absurd stuff :P I remember in one of my A level Chemistry ISAs I left some corked test tubes rather close to a bunsen burner, yeah those corks shot right across the room making a nice popping sound in the process.

ReputationRep:
    Well, folks, I've loved all your stories, but something that happened just yesterday takes the cake. But no, it's not my lab PARTNER, it's my lab DEMONSTRATOR.
    I do the usual procedure, follow the instructions I was given to the letter. I make a plot on the computer and print it out, from which I derive a quantity. My quantity is not what theory predicted, so I ask the demonstrator what may have gone wrong. He tells me my plot is inaccurate, which makes perfect sense, as an ideal fit was made by the computer, which was designed to make the plot as accurate as possible. Nevertheless, he tells me to change my function, eventually forcing me to do so to make the "ideal graph", and surprise, surprise, the result of doing so makes a tangent from the data as big as the tangent from my query.
    After something like half an hour trying to tell him that he's being ridiculous, he says something completely different. He tells me to measure the resistance of my entire circuit, piece by piece. Turns out it is such that there is no justifiable way to conduct the experiment anyway. No wonder my quantity was so different from prediction; the experiment was fundamentally flawed. But no, says the demonstrator, it was all my fault for reasons known only to him.
    Me and my partner just left early after that, talking and laughing about how ludicrous lab is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuclear Ghost)
    Well, folks, I've loved all your stories, but something that happened just yesterday takes the cake. But no, it's not my lab PARTNER, it's my lab DEMONSTRATOR.
    I do the usual procedure, follow the instructions I was given to the letter. I make a plot on the computer and print it out, from which I derive a quantity. My quantity is not what theory predicted, so I ask the demonstrator what may have gone wrong. He tells me my plot is inaccurate, which makes perfect sense, as an ideal fit was made by the computer, which was designed to make the plot as accurate as possible. Nevertheless, he tells me to change my function, eventually forcing me to do so to make the "ideal graph", and surprise, surprise, the result of doing so makes a tangent from the data as big as the tangent from my query.
    After something like half an hour trying to tell him that he's being ridiculous, he says something completely different. He tells me to measure the resistance of my entire circuit, piece by piece. Turns out it is such that there is no justifiable way to conduct the experiment anyway. No wonder my quantity was so different from prediction; the experiment was fundamentally flawed. But no, says the demonstrator, it was all my fault for reasons known only to him.
    Me and my partner just left early after that, talking and laughing about how ludicrous lab is.
    lol How'd you manage to do the write-up after that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BWV1007)
    lol How'd you manage to do the write-up after that?
    Haven't started it yet, but when I do, I'll have to restrain myself from expressing my psychotic rage.

ReputationRep:
    not show up

ReputationRep:
    Burnt the entire counter by spilling burning methanol on it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.