Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    No. Even UK citizens must have been "ordinarily resident" in the UK for three years before their course starts, in order to get the Tuition Fee Loan and Maintenance Loan. Residence is key. Citizenship and nationality are irrelevant.
    Thanks for correcting me on this. However, there was a girl at my school who was British but didn't live in the UK for those 3 years prior to uni, yet still got the maintenance loan. So there are probably ways to get around this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pecora)
    Thanks for correcting me on this. However, there was a girl at my school who was British but didn't live in the UK for those 3 years prior to uni, yet still got the maintenance loan. So there are probably ways to get around this.
    Yes, there are. As long as she or her parents could show that a) their time abroad was only ever intended to be temporary and b) they had retained links to the UK whilst abroad (paid tax/National Insurance in the UK, had an active UK bank account, remained registered to vote, came back to the country regularly, remained registered with a UK GP/dentist, owned UK property which could be used as a family home etc).

A friend of mine lived and worked abroad for 15 years and remained "ordinarily resident" in the UK throughout this time. However it takes a lot of planning and maintenance. It isn't easy to do and you couldn't move abroad first and then set it up later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClaireFad)
    hi Klix88,

You seem really clued up on these matters. Do you by any chance know what classifies a migrant worker, and the child of one? I'm not successful in my searches thus far, and would really appreciate any help!

Thanks
    Middlesex University have a useful summary:
    https://unihub.mdx.ac.uk/__data/asse...-Funding-1.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    Middlesex University have a useful summary:
    https://unihub.mdx.ac.uk/__data/asse...-Funding-1.pdf
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    I received an answer. This is what they've said:

To be eligible for migrant work you are required to be working before the
    start of your course as well as being a resident in the UK prior to your
    course
    To be eligible for Maintenance Loan we require you to be working & earning
    enough to support yourself financially through out the academic year

I've sent them some further questions just to be sure, but I suppose as long as you are living in the UK and supporting yourself, you can get the maintenance loan.
    Now let's just hope that the whole Brexit thing doesn't happen.

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    I am from Portugal, and I am applying to tuttion fees loan and I know that I cant ask for a maintenance loan because I never lived in uk. I will move in semptember to uk, and if I start working in a part time job in semptember, can I apply for a maintenance loan, beeing a migrant workwear? Thank U

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcomoura94)
    Hey
    I am from Portugal, and I am applying to tuttion fees loan and I know that I cant ask for a maintenance loan because I never lived in uk. I will move in semptember to uk, and if I start working in a part time job in semptember, can I apply for a maintenance loan, beeing a migrant workwear? Thank U
    Greetings!

The rules are complicated, and it's not as easy as getting a part-time job to be classed as a Migrant Worker. Plus, you'll need to provide evidence at the start of the Academic Year and evidence of continuing employment prior to terms 2 & 3.

This would nearly be in the form of three months Payslips, and a minimum of 16 hours needs to be worked per week, often, for this to qualify.

ReputationRep:
    Right! Thank you very much!!!

ReputationRep:
    The minimum period of residence in the UK to allow a EU student to apply for maintenance loan is changing from 3 to 5 years by the 24th of March, so anyone who does meet the 3 years but not the 5 years, apply ASAP! Almost got screwed over this, but thank god something was telling me to apply today and it practically saved me from having to delay my studies for another 2 years!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.