Turn on thread page Beta

Bad idea to choose computer science A level without maths A level? watch

ReputationRep:
    Would it be a lot harder? Would the gcse help?

ReputationRep:
    I've never taken computing however my friends do. They said the knowledge at GCSE can be helpful but you get taught new things anyway so. I don't really think A-Level Maths is fundamental here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SubZero~)
    I've never taken computing however my friends do. They said the knowledge at GCSE can be helpful but you get taught new things anyway so. I don't really think A-Level Maths is fundamental here.
    Thanks, even if the college says you must take it with maths a level or else you must take an aptitude test?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geniequeen48)
    Thanks, even if the college says you must take it with maths a level or else you must take an aptitude test?
    I can't really help you there but I guess if the college specifically asks you to then you should. Like I said I'm not sure.

You quoted it as computer science and not computing. Thats important because, the spec has changed to Computer Science. Computer Science is more mathematical than the old computing spec. You don't need any knowledge of A level Maths, but the thing is Computer Science is good for the mathematical thinkers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nabz Ali)
    You quoted it as computer science and not computing. Thats important because, the spec has changed to Computer Science. Computer Science is more mathematical than the old computing spec. You don't need any knowledge of A level Maths, but the thing is Computer Science is good for the mathematical thinkers.
    Oh right, hmm okay.

ReputationRep:
    When I went to an open day at Leicester Uni the head of the CompSci Dept said you don't need the knowledge from A-Level maths for the degree you just need to have a good head for numbers for what they teach. I guess the same would apply for CompSci at A-level.

I'm doing Access to Computing at the moment and I haven't needed any of my GCSE Maths knowledge(which is a good job as I've forgotten most of it).

ReputationRep:
    not a bad idea for A level ...
    however not a good idea to pick a computer science degree without A level maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    not a bad idea for A level ...
    however not a good idea to pick a computer science degree without A level maths
    Nah I was just thinking of doing it at A level. What combination would you think is better: Chemistry, Biology, English Literature and Spanish or Chemistry, Biology, English Literature and Computer Science?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.