Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,
    I'm not currently a vegetarian however I think I'm going eating meat when I go to uni because quorn is much cheaper and I don't actually really like meat anyway!
    Does anyone have an opinion on this? How will you deal with a vegetarian in halls? Let me know what you think!

ReputationRep:
    There is nothing to deal with, whether a flatmate in halls is a vegetarian or not has nothing to do with me and doesn't affect me in any way.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't eat meat before, during or after uni. It wasn't an issue at all - even when we had communal flat meals in halls (it was a self catered hall, but we all cooked together on a few occasions) I'd just make a veggie version of whatever they were eating (eg quorn spaghetti bolognaise) and it was never a problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Vegetarianism is by far the most common of all 'special diets' and is nearly always catered for - if I do group meals I often do them vegetarian anyway as it's just cheaper.

It might be worth avoiding catered halls, however - they might just have one veggie option per day, and if you happen not to like cheese or mushrooms, for example, you could end up with almost nothing to eat.

ReputationRep:
    I've been vegan (vegetarian but no eggs, dairy, or honey) for the whole of my 2nd year at uni and I've never had an issue with it.
    I live with 2 guys and another girl and they're all really accepting of it - won't put their none vegan items near my things in the fridge, don't make nasty comments, and are generally really inquisitive about my lifestyle.
    People are a lot nicer than you would think about different lifestyles

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.