Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Sick of Uni. Graduate now with a 2:2 BEng or next year, possibly with a 2:1 MEng? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, this is a bit of a waffle but I'd really be grateful for opinions.

I'm in my third year of an Engineering degree at a top Uni. I'm sick of student life, I'm sick of my course (boring af), not interested in the field, I'm sick of exams/coursework and I just want to move back into the world of work. In recent years I've accepted that I'm not that ambitious and probably would have been better off never coming to Uni. Practically all career sectors I'm interested in don't require a degree. Grad schemes don't interest me; I don't want another corporate job sitting in a cubicle all day (I have such work experience).

I'll likely get a high 2:2 if I graduate this year. However, Engineering degrees have an optional 4th year with a lot of optional modules and friends have said it was the best year of their degree. Something like 80% of people at my Uni who do it finished with a 2:1.

The idea of another year after this though makes me question living. I'm personally okay with a 2:2, I just know employers aren't.

Can anyone advise on what I should do?

ReputationRep:
    Do the optional 4th year. Surely choosing your modules will make the year a bit more interesting and therefore fleeting.

Leaving with a 2.2 is risky when you have the option to rectify it. In my view there is less risk with doing the optional year (if you drop out surely you receive the 2.2 you would have otherwise received), than trying to pursue whatever employment you're after and being rejected time and time again due to a mediocre degree classification.

ReputationRep:
    Take the 4th year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CCC75)
    Do the optional 4th year. Surely choosing your modules will make the year a bit more interesting and therefore fleeting.

Leaving with a 2.2 is risky when you have the option to rectify it. In my view there is less risk with doing the optional year (if you drop out surely you receive the 2.2 you would have otherwise received), than trying to pursue whatever employment you're after and being rejected time and time again due to a mediocre degree classification.
    Appreciate the thoughts.

The options don't interest me (I've looked at them all) it would just be a case of choosing the easiest ones to get a 2:1.

I kind of feel though that if I'm sick of it now and losing motivation, it's not likely going to change and I'll just waste more time.

ReputationRep:
    Choose the easiest one and get a 2:1. It will make your life so much easier and it is just a year. A year is nothing compared to your work time. And you can learn skills, you need in any job. in case motivation is the only issue and you are not really struggling with getting good grades, then do that fourth year.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.