Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    As you can see from the title above, I'm in a bit of a crisis here and could really do with your help! I'm currently on my gap year and have deferred my place at university for 2016 due to personal reasons and also I am confused on what to study and really needed a break from education ! . I have currently deferred my entry to study BA Sociology this year; I mean I studied it for one of my A levels and that's the only subject from my A levels that I actually found interesting. However, after thinking long and hard about what i want to study; i feel like i have changed course of direction and would like to study Bsc Psychology and Sociology or Bsc psychology at the University of Birmingham, however the entry threshold for UOB is above what i have obtained. I completed my A levels last year 2015 and obtained a BBC , With these grades i feel like I'm quite limited and don't know what i should do. Should i retake some of my units and top my grades so i can have better options ? or should I wait till August and enter into clearing?
    if you can give me advice on this issue I would be grateful,
    Thanks
    Mareena

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what you want to do afterwards? It sounds to me as if you don't have a particular career path in mind and might just be going to university to 'get a degree'?

The university you attend can be important for certain subjects/careers (i.e. Law), but for Psychology and Sociology it is much less important. If you just want to obtain a degree then I can't imagine the location being a big issue in the future - the classification you get is far more important.

Sociology is a bit of a strange subject. I think that unless you intend to go into social research/governmental planning or somesuch then it is a weaker subject. Psychology is more scientifically robust and will give a firmer basis for a career (in my opinion).

If you wish to pursue Psychology as a career then ensure it is BPS accredited.

ReputationRep:
    Hi !
    Thanks for your advice! Tbh the reason why i would like to study psychology and sociology is because it might have more career options open for me as I would like to become along of become a psychologist or something to do with psychology The course is accredited by the BPS which is great. I originally applied for BA Theology and Religion but left because the course didn't appeal to me. I haven't studied psychology before previously and don't know what to expect but have read the course modules and it sounds really interesting to study. My perspective is that by doing psychology with sociology together I might find it easier. The only downside of the degree is that I'm not that good at maths and I don't want to study sociology by itself as it could get really boring.
    Any advice ?
    Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.