Dune
    Europe at Midnight (sort of...)
    Girl With All The Gifts
    The Affirmation
    Pavane
    Brave New World
    Farnham's Freehold
    The Drowned World

Basically any good/classic post-apocalyptic/dystopic sci-fi, thanks. Religious undertones appreciated too.

I am willing to try other sub-genres in sci-fi if something comes so recommended.

ReputationRep:
    The Handmaid's Tale, Day of the Triffids, Children of the Atom, 1984, The Female Man, Trouble on Triton

All fabulous.

ReputationRep:
    I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream.

ReputationRep:
    -War of the Worlds
    -SlaughterHouse Five
    -Farenheit 451

If you're interested in SF short stories, the Wesleyan anthology is awesome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    I've read and enjoyed, in no particular order:

Alas, Babylon
    Death of Grass
    Canticle for Leibowitz
    Earth Abides
    Grass
    Dune
    Europe at Midnight (sort of...)
    Girl With All The Gifts
    The Affirmation
    Pavane
    Brave New World
    Farnham's Freehold

Basically any good/classic post-apocalyptic/dystopic sci-fi, thanks. Religious undertones appreciated too.

I am willing to try other sub-genres in sci-fi if something comes so recommended.
    Ready Player One or Armada by Ernest Cline! (https://wordery.com/ernest-cline-author) Ready Player one is most definitely my favourite book of all time!

ReputationRep:
    Time Riders
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    Oryx and crake - Margaret Atwood
    High Rise - J G Ballard (recently made into a film I notice)
    The Chrysalids - John Wyndham

(Original post by G8D)

Not particularly drawn to anything categorised as 'feminist science fiction'.
    TBH this just seems to mean some idiot on the internet noticed that it either has a female author or it features a female character who isn't a damsel in distress - probably you should get over it

also
    Cat's cradle - Kurt Vonnegut
    A clockwork orange - Anthony Burgess
    The dispossessed - Ursula LeGuin
    Do androids dream of electric sheep (i.e. bladerunner) - PK **** (more dystopian and religious themes than there was space for in the film)

ReputationRep:
    One I've not read yet but will try and get hold of

Fugue for a darkening island - Christopher Priest (1972)

if you've got a couple of hours the BBC put out this short series about British sci-fi novels a few years ago, episodes 2 and 3 are all about utopias/dystopias (and nothing at all to do with martians, despite the unfortunate title)
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    The Three-Body Problem by Cixin Lu was my most recent SF read, really interesting and complex. Won the Hugo Award
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Oooooh did you watch the film of High Rise?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by G8D)
    No. Might do once I've read it.
    I want to read the book now, the film is pretty good and beautifully shot, if a bit heavy handed with the capitalism symbolism

ReputationRep:
    I love Vonnegut as well, so it goes ;-)

I would recommend The Gate to Women's Country (morbid like The Handmaid's Tale). Never Let Me Go is good as well, there is a film adaption which is meant to be great as well.

The S.F. Masterpiece series is well worth taking a look at, it's a great mix of classics and unknowns like Lord of Light (which was the novel at the heart of a CIA hostage-rescue operation, adapted in Ben Affleck’s Argo).

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.