How much harder is STEP II compared to STEP I?

Watch
Rockstar North
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Title
Rockstar North
Rep:
?
13 1 20 8 42 physicsmaths
Indeterminate
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In my opinion, STEP II is only slightly more challenging than STEP I :yep:

The real STEP up (:teehee:) is from the second to the third paper
DylanJ42
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rockstar North)
Title
In STEP I I was getting 90-100 in the latest few, STEP 2 im getting around 70 at the minute, can only really do 4 questions per paper and then 1 or 2 half answers.

Those aren't timed btw but i usually start and finish a paper within 1/2 days (just because its so addicting)

So I think there is a step up (hehe:ahee:) but not enough that you'll be getting <10 in any papers
DylanJ42
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Indeterminate)

omg we made the same joke :laugh:
Rockstar North
Rep:
?

(Original post by DylanJ42)
In STEP I I was getting 90-100 in the latest few, STEP 2 im getting around 70 at the minute, can only really do 4 questions per paper and then 1 or 2 half answers.

Those aren't timed btw but i usually start and finish a paper within 1/2 days (just because its so addicting)

So I think there is a step up (hehe:ahee:) but not enough that you'll be getting <10 in any papers
Thank you. I got offers from Imperial and Warwick; 2 in II and 2 in I respectively. Not sure whether it's a risk worth taking, I'm not confident about II but should be able to get it in I. Hmm.
math42
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It seems the disparity has grown in recent years imo, but I haven't heard many others note this. For instance 2014 and 2015 STEP I I found doable (scraped a 1 sitting 2015, think I could have done better with less crap exam strategy/time management, high 1/low S when doing 2014 as a mock), whereas I looked at the II papers for each year and, while admittedly not trying forever, couldn't get a single full solution. But STEP II papers from longer ago seem a lot more approachable.
Zacken
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you. I got offers from Imperial and Warwick; 2 in II and 2 in I respectively. Not sure whether it's a risk worth taking, I'm not confident about II but should be able to get it in I. Hmm.
2 in I, II is a fairly easy, nothing to worry about really. You just need to answer about ~2 and a half questions to three questions fully and some partials for that, or just 6 partials.
Rockstar North
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zacken)
2 in I, II is a fairly easy, nothing to worry about really. You just need to answer about ~2 and a half questions to three questions fully and some partials for that, or just 6 partials.
Easy for someone with a Cambridge offer to say . I see you've got offers from Imperial and Warwick too; any idea what you'll pick? and why?
Zacken
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Easy for someone with a Cambridge offer to say . I see you've got offers from Imperial and Warwick too; any idea what you'll pick? and why?
Probably Warwick! I just feel like I enjoyed their campus environment more, plus their maths course seems slightly more attractive to me. I'm not entirely made my mind up yet, do you have any tips or pro's/con's between the two? :eek:
Rockstar North
Rep:
?
Probably Warwick! I just feel like I enjoyed their campus environment more, plus their maths course seems slightly more attractive to me. I'm not entirely made my mind up yet, do you have any tips or pro's/con's between the two? :eek:
I'm having a really hard time; I prefer Warwick's course much more too; but the city looked incredibly dead to me. Imperial will be beneficial for IB as all the big banks are close by, plus overall much higher rep/prestige. ugh
Zacken
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm having a really hard time; I prefer Warwick's course much more too; but the city looked incredibly dead to me. Imperial will be beneficial for IB as all the big banks are close by, plus overall much higher rep/prestige. ugh
If you're thinking about IB - Warwick is just as much as a target as Imperial! You'll get the obvious travelling disadvantages but otherwise, not a setback. @weird number name guy I can't be bothered to type out goes to Warwick, so you might want to ask him about how dead the city is.
math42
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you're thinking about IB - Warwick is just as much as a target as Imperial! You'll get the obvious travelling disadvantages but otherwise, not a setback. @weird number name guy I can't be bothered to type out goes to Warwick, so you might want to ask him about how dead the city is.
I wonder who weird number name guy is..
Zacken
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
I wonder who weird number name guy is..
username1560589
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think they're about the same. I actually found STEP III easier.

I'm having a really hard time; I prefer Warwick's course much more too; but the city looked incredibly dead to me.
I haven't even been to Coventry in months. Pretty much everything you need is in Canley.
FriendlyPenguin
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I disagree... well, since I've completely covered the topics, and having practised a lot more, I'm finding STEP III easier than STEP II...

Though I do seem to be a contrarian
EnglishMuon
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mathemagicien)
I disagree... well, since I've completely covered the topics, and having practised a lot more, I'm finding STEP III easier than STEP II...

Though I do seem to be a contrarian
I feel the same way too. I find STEP II the hardest, but probably due to the course content required. I love my integration and series which seems to be replaced by some other topics e.g. Geometrical problems in 2.
shamika
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Personally I < III < II in difficulty. That's just a personal opinion though!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (331)
55.72%
I don't have everything I need (263)
44.28%

Watched Threads