Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doing RDLs instead of deadlifts for StrongLifts 5x5? watch

ReputationRep:
    Is this a reasonable idea if someone really doesn't like conventional deadlifts? The rep ranges would be different of course so instead of the usual 1x5 it'd be 3x8
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by tootles44)
    Is this a reasonable idea if someone really doesn't like conventional deadlifts? The rep ranges would be different of course so instead of the usual 1x5 it'd be 3x8
    No. The RDL is a different lift performed for a different purpose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    No. The RDL is a different lift performed for a different purpose.
    can you do both?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    can you do both?
    Yes.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    What would be the purpose of substituting it or adding RDLs in, what are you looking to get out of them? You should always know exactly what you're hoping to get out of something every time you add it in or tweak it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    What would be the purpose of substituting it or adding RDLs in, what are you looking to get out of them? You should always know exactly what you're hoping to get out of something every time you add it in or tweak it.
    well from my understanding deads are more for strength and all over mass gain, whereas Rdls focus on hams/glutes. Tbh I'm training more for aesthetic purposes that strength purposes and id prefer redly in that regard. Also I find that deadlifts become very strenuous on my lower back (check your form, i know i know!) but rdls are slightly more enjoyable for me since I'm not picking the weight up from the ground each time.

The main thing Iid be concerned about is muscular imbalances if i changed a compound movement to an isolation one, and lagging body parts

edit to say I'm following the outline of strong lifts 5x5 w/ extra leg work
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    well from my understanding deads are more for strength and all over mass gain, whereas Rdls focus on hams/glutes. Tbh I'm training more for aesthetic purposes that strength purposes and id prefer redly in that regard. Also I find that deadlifts become very strenuous on my lower back (check your form, i know i know!) but rdls are slightly more enjoyable for me since I'm not picking the weight up from the ground each time.

The main thing Iid be concerned about is muscular imbalances if i changed a compound movement to an isolation one, and lagging body parts

edit to say I'm following the outline of strong lifts 5x5 w/ extra leg work
    I see. Well, SL is very much laid out in a legs-push-pull format for each workout, it's not at all ideal to replace deadlifts, a main pulling exercise, for an exercise that's predominantly a posterior chain exercise. If you feel like you can manage adding it in to the other workout then go ahead though

ReputationRep:
    If you don't care about strength and you probably don't care about pure mass either then it basically doesn't matter at all what lifts you do so long as they're safe.

Anyway deadlifts are supposed to be strenuous on your lower back because they're a lower back exercise. Maybe you mean something else though IDK.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 12, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.